Sign in to follow this  
ginger john

which cable to use

Hi

I want to add 4 more cameras in another building. the building is about 40 feet away from the other building. that i have my dvr in. i already have 2 cameras in the building. i've used rg59 cable for the 2 cameras. and i've used normal plug in power adapters to power the cameras. the problem i have is that the rg59 cable runs through 1 1/2 waste pipe. but its not a straight run . i have a 45 degree elbow coming out of one building with a 6ft drop then another 45 elbow fitting . then a straight run but this is under my paving slabs. this is a straight 40ft run going into the other building.

now i can use the existing rg59 to pull new cables in. what i'm wondering is which cables will be best for me . i also want to power the cameras. remembering i cant pull any cable through with fitting attached because of the elbows they would likely get stuck in the pipe. so should i just pull 6 shotgun cables or is there a better way of doing the job,

do a search for video mule - 4 video down 1 co-ax.

or if you use ip cameras you could run cat5 and use a network switch that provides power down the cable- (POE switch - power over Ethernet) limited to 100m total distance.

thankyou jazzar that sounds like a easy way to do it. but ive already gone and pulled rg59 shotgun cable through now. it was a bit of a struggle but i managed. thanks for the reply,