Sign in to follow this  
Blink

English Software for Chinese Camera

Hi, I'm new to the forum and clueless about IP cameras. I bought a cheap camera from China and it wasn't the one I paid for, it's better. It says it's a 6mm 2 megapixel camera and it came in a bag with a CD containing the software and it's all in Chinese. I know the chipset is Hi3518 and I have painstakingly translated the software folders to English and this is how the folders read:

Top level folders

Information to the customer's network camera

CMS centralized monitoring software

Phone monitoring software

Find camera software upgrade

The new software platform

-------

Sub folders

Webcams CMS client and remote settings

iPhone、touch (universal edition)

Symbian phones

Phone monitoring setup instructions

Install and use the upgrade tool

Boot logo requirements and upgrade steps

(New platform user guide

myeye client

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some software (in English) that would be compatible for this camera. I plan to use it for CCTV, recording the image and using some sort of motion sensor set up. I would also like to view the output on my iPhone when I'm away from home. Any suggestions would be very welcome as I've not found much on Google about getting this going.

Many thanks

Blink

Have you connected to it via a web browser yet? Is the web interface all in Chinese? Is there an option somewhere to chose another language?

Some software supports ONVIF if the camera does and some use RTSP if you can find out what the RTSP string is.

Have you connected to it via a web browser yet? Is the web interface all in Chinese? Is there an option somewhere to chose another language?

Some software supports ONVIF if the camera does and some use RTSP if you can find out what the RTSP string is.

Thanks buellwinkle,

Sorry I've not been able to get back to you. No, I haven't connected it to a web browser yet. I didn't know if it would be like a printer with it's own web interface for config purposes, where you could plug it into a laptop via crossover cable, enter an IP and see the on-board web interface. Also, I'll try installing the software and see if there's an English option. Otherwise, I think this camera will do ONVIF and RTSP. My main objective though, is to run any software that will do the job.

Roller

Typically you connect the camera to a PoE switch or injector that is connected to your network unless it's not PoE and in that case you plug the power supply into the camera and then attach the camera via an Ethernet cable to your router to connect it to your network. Sometimes it takes a minute or so for it to boot up.

Then use the camera finder software that comes with the camera as that finds where it is on your network. Use that software to change the IP address to a valid address in your network with the proper subnet mask and gateway address.

Then enter that IP address in a browser and log into the camera and you should see the live video and menus to allow you to change options on the cameras.

Again, thanks buellwinkle, there's some food for thought. I have a lot on right now, but I'm just about to try some stuff out.

Thank you,

Blink

I've had a better look at the various bundled software and it looks horrible. For a start, I can't Identify which bit I should run to do the camera finding part Ii.e establishing an IP address. I was also wondering what the polarity of the camera power plug was. It looks like a female 12 V DC 2.1MM type and I'm guessing the positive is in the middle.

I've seen a list of software on this site. Does anyone know if it's worth me just starting at the top of the list and trying each software one by one until I find one that works? This is driving me nuts. Any help would be most appreciated.

Blink

Just going through all this my self, quite the initial soup !!

look on the little cd for IPC search-it should have installed with the CMS software, it will give you the camera address you need, try un-installing CMS and re-install it looking for the box to check for English, mine still gives a Chinese message when it won't connect to the camera !!

another option is type in the run command line: IP config and camera address will show there, another thing confusing at first is you have to first find the camera in the CMS system setting by clicking search, then click add and it will be in there under encode on the left pane in the main window, you then can either double click the camera icon or right click it and click connect to server, CMS also has hidden things like right click at the top right bar and a bunch of other options come up, the IP cameras definitely have a learning curve and assume you have some routing experience as well as more than basic computer skills, I just bought the Chinese intelligence software and it looks a lot more powerful than blue iris and is even in English !

Hope you have better luck than me with your ebay camera--mine the main board took a crap after less than 1mo of powered use !

Best bet for software is to try these 2 packages. After this, you'll have a good idea of what you need and want. These connect with a wide variety of cams, so you may be in luck, but no-name cams are always a risk.

You do need to know the camera's IP address for any software package to work...

Blue Iris demo: Great support, lots of options, more supported cams than any software I know, has ONVIF detect function. Tends to require a more powerful CPU for multiple MP cams. $40-50 to register if it fits your needs.

Milestone Xprotect Go: Requires less CPU power, free for up to 8 cams with 5 day recording limit, also supports lots of cams. Can update to the more full-featured version for $50/cam license.

KENSTV

Thank you for spending the time to write about your experiences with "eBay" camera, It was most entertaining, and I now feel I have a kindred spirit. Otherwise, thanks for the advice, you inspired me to plug in the power, suck it and see. I actually found the IP address of the camera with an iPhone app "Fing" which finds all the devices connected to my router. I've now actually got the camera login screen in my browser...yay!! I'm going to try some software next, and I'll update all on my progress.

Cheers

Blink

Maxicon

Thanks for the advice, I keep seeing references to Blue Iris and now I know why. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the help from you guys. I like this forum, there are some good people here. I'm going to carry on when I have time, hopefully this weekend, and report back ASAP

Blink