KENSTV

IP camera internet explorer interface-foward to nas drive ?

Can anybody explain how to forward the camera alarm video to a usb 3.0 attached drive on a Linksys AC1600 router, I can not see where there is a setting for storage other than to a SD card in the cameras IE interface and the camera has no SD card capabilities, also the AC1600 settings for the usb attached drive allow it to be set as a media server or a FTP server, which would I use ?

I'm sure these are dumb questions for somebody with lots of router knowledge !

What I want to do is record alarm video straight to the router attached drive without using a computer-to save power and use less equipment, I suppose a option would be to just record the live stream continuously since the live video stream is connected to the router also, just seems way inefficient to have to run a computer to capture the alarm video and send it to the drive attached to the router, the camera IS a computer and is running lynx so maybe some code changes would be needed to make this happen ??

Can anybody explain how to forward the camera alarm video to a usb 3.0 attached drive on a Linksys AC1600 router, I can not see where there is a setting for storage other than to a SD card in the cameras IE interface and the camera has no SD card capabilities, also the AC1600 settings for the usb attached drive allow it to be set as a media server or a FTP server, which would I use ?

I'm sure these are dumb questions for somebody with lots of router knowledge !

What I want to do is record alarm video straight to the router attached drive without using a computer-to save power and use less equipment, I suppose a option would be to just record the live stream continuously since the live video stream is connected to the router also, just seems way inefficient to have to run a computer to capture the alarm video and send it to the drive attached to the router, the camera IS a computer and is running lynx so maybe some code changes would be needed to make this happen ??

If your camera doesn't support NAS/NFS/FTP connection, there isn't much you can do.

The "workaround" would be that the Linksys would connect to the camera, but I doubt your or any current model does this.

That's just it Dexter-it does support 14 different protocols and FTP is one of them, cameras in question are both low end Chinese ones (IPS 2MP and Aote 5MP)but have a great picture and lots of functions-one of which is a built in alarm function in the cameras firmware, these cameras run Linux and I'm sure anybody with coding experience could add a few lines of code to point the alarm or main stream video right to the attached drive on the router-instead of having to go to the NVR or a computer, I'm surprised nobody has thought of doing this before but I'm entirely sure it is possible, problem is person would have to get into the cameras firmware and make the changes needed, these cameras have a option you can add a SD card slot and the cameras firmware will write to that if present, coding would only have to be changed to allow it to point it to a NAS drive or router attached drive-which I have read is technically the same as the nas drive, I'm sure the Linux guys could pull the code down and a few key strokes later have it coded right in, I asked Aote and got no response to my question--big surprise there huh !

Not a very big surprise!

All IP cameras ran on Linux even in the under 2008 days, when they weren't so popular. Also, it's not just a trick of coding, rather a problem with the SoCs (alias the combo of CPU+RAM) inside the cameras that make your wanted functions hard to implement or even impossible.

Writing to a NAS/FTP/NFS server can take as many CPU cycles (power) as the cycles used by the CPU to compress the data for SD Cards (which is one of the most "hard" things to do and usually gets the SoCs to a high limit).

Trust your feelings - if it was so simple, why didn't they implement it? The simple answer: because it's nearly impossible with a low CPU/SoC driven to it's max capabilities - hence the "chineese" price.

You nailed it Dexter--horsepower, and the lack of it stops this ability, the dedicated DSP processor(made right here in America-Texas Instruments) is slammed just making up the bit stream and can only send low resolution clips out to email, with the price of microprocessors and memory now I don't see why they wouldn't add this possibility in the future, just seems odd, right to the router you have the video stream and the router can have storage attached to it, a piece of equipment could be left out of the equation to make the system work, a computer running 24-7 or a NAS drive or NVR constantly running adds to the complexity of it not to mention the added cost to run and maintain it ! I did mention this to AOTE, and as a side note they did make me aware of the fact I could add a USB to the camera and store video locally at the camera site, just $6 to add that feature ! got to love it, you can just order your camera ala cart, I can't see why everybody steers clear of these ebay cameras, so far the support has been quick and the cameras have a lot of features for a low price, only drawback I see with them is if you do need a warranty sending it back to china isn't cheep, otherwise both Aote and IPS have been very responsive to me

TI's DaVinci series are kind of old, yet popular.

Implementing new SoCs means a lot of work, since you have to make something (very) stable and secure. It's not an easy job.

I doubt a router can have enough horsepower to manage the recordings - meaning taking them from the LAN and "dump" them on attached USB storage. Secondly, you need and easy, powerful and fast way to search through recordings - again, not an easy task. And the biggest problem is reliabilty/prioritisation: you NEED the recordings - it's not something like "Ok, the page didn't load. Let's refresh the page." or "Reset the router".

Routers suffer from the same "symptoms" as the IP Camera does - SoCs pushed to maximum. NVRs also, NASes also. Putting them to do mutiple jobs will result in problems.

Even latest NASes from Synology (for example), if you let them do multiple jobs - let's say a simple webserver, a mail server, storage and Antivirus Scans you'll see a very big drop in performance.