stanw

WiFi only cams that record to DVR?

I am currently using a DropCam as a pet cam and want to get a second cam as a nanny cam but before I do I want to look into cams that can record to DVR. I do not want to run ethernet or bnc cables to the cameras. I like that footage is being recorded to the cloud with the Dropcam, though a DVR or computer would be good also.

1. Are there any good visual quality, day/night, WiFi only cameras that record to a DVR or computer and not a SD card?

Thanks.

To be more specific, I'd like the video to be transferred wirelessly from the cam to a Mac or PC, though preferably a Mac connected in a completely different area of the house.

Do these types of cams exist?

Thanks.

DVRs record only analog, "BNC-type" cameras.

NVRs record IP-Cameras - either Ethernet cabled or WiFi.

PCs and other computers can be used to record cameras, but they are a flaky/non-stable solution. What happens if your PC hangs or reboots when it should be recording an important event?

So the best way is with NVRs.

But, for the ideea's sake, beware of WiFi cameras - they can become a nightmare if anyone would enter/hack into your wireless network. From security devices they will transform into silent, peek devices.

Hi dexterash,

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the tip about the potential for hackers to get in also. Can you recommend some WiFi cams that do record to NVR so I can compare some of the features with wired ones?

Thanks.

In an usual/good setup, NVRs connect to cameras, not otherwise. So, at first, you'll have to figure your needs, find a NVR that can suit your needs - in resolution, number of channels and framerate/fluency - and search for cameras that are compatible with that NVR (usually, a trusty NVR manufacturer will list that; also, a very good starting point is to look for cameras that have the same manufacturer as the NVR).

Usually features are equal between a good WiFi camera and a wired one.