Sign in to follow this  
brwjunior

How is audio recorded through an NVR?

I have a Dahua ESDV-NVR-16 16 Channel Hi Def Network Video Recorder that is used to record six POE ESIP-MP1.3-BT1 bullets and now a recently purchased Hikvision DS-2CD2532F-IS Compact Dome 3MP IP Security Camera 2.8mm W/ Built in Mic.

From my understanding most NVR's, including mine will record audio? How is this done, through CAT5 or an addition line source? The new POE Hikvision Dome has a built in mic but also has an additional dongle with a green plug containing four tension screws marked "Audio" to hook up low voltage wire.

I am confusing myself because i can't seem to find or understand how live audio is recorded through an NVR or a mic'ed camera anywhere. Below is a link to the spec sheet for Hikvision Dome and attached pic's of the NVR sprec's

http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=9446

esdvnvr16specs_Page_3.thumb.jpg.1d2960647fea4a2b474bb23b1a53dd11.jpg

esdvnvr16specs_Page_2.thumb.jpg.e52063a158c622395d0b1b80e095fb60.jpg

esdvnvr16specs_Page_1.thumb.jpg.7e529bd04d01664692df50f12bfa4eb0.jpg

It looks like the camera has a microphone that will be recorded to the SD card unless you tell it not to. The NVR will also be able to record the audio.

The extra wire you are referring to is most likely the "line in" if you would choose to bypass the microphone. You might want a different or have a better audio input source. There is a software toggle to switch between mic and line in. Pretty sure the default is mic.

The camera can be set to record high quality video. Add audio and you are talking about some heavy data throughput and processing. You can choose the quality of the video and the compression of the audio.

Hook it up and see how it records. The NVR will record the audio. You might have to play with the video parameters to get the best quality possible. This would be like tweaking a video game for shadows, frame rate, detail. It depends on your system. If it is terrible you can start at the bottom (D1) and work your way up from there.

Usually digital video has the audio mixed in with it. They are one. Separating them is a special process. I could be wrong about this but be aware that both signals could be digitized together. I forget where this mixed thing can be a problem. Somewhere in editing which probably won't effect you at all.

What I can't tell you is if the audio is restricted by the frame rate. Probably not bit if you have a problem getting the audio look at frame rates.

In any case audio should record to the card. If the NVR has no sound and the card does, that will tell you the NVR has a limitation with the audio that you aren't aware of. Time to go deeper into the settings. If there is no audio in either one you have a setting wrong in the camera.

Bottom line, it will probably be no problem at all. Hi def recording at 30fps and audio can be a lot of data. Problems? Reduce the data rate to the NVR. Changing parameters does nothing? Call tech support.

Hope that helps

I could be off base but it's a place to start

Don