lkstaack

Outdoor Camera Installation Advice

I seek advice for an outdoor installation that will place 5 cameras on beams several feet from a wall. I am installing a budget Lorex system that includes siamese "extension" cables. I am running the cables about 50 feet through the garage, an outdoor wood framed wall, and onto my entry that is exposed 6x6 beams. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to weather-proof the BNC/Power connectors from the camera to extension cable? Plastic electrical boxes?

2. Are siamese cables weather-proof? I am concerned that snaking five lengths of conduit will look terrible. However, I can discretely run the cables along the beams.

3. Should I toss the provided siamese "extension" cables and run bulk cable? I am suspicious of it's quality and I don't like the thought of drilling holes large enough to accommodate the connectors.

4. If I use bulk cable, should I run a single pair of power wires, rather than dedicated power for each camera?

5. Can I cut the provided "extension" cables and re-terminate it? Or, are they proprietary that won't accommodate crimp terminals?

I am installing a Lorex LHD818 eight channel system from Costco. I chose this system because I am on a tight budget, liked the HD resolution, and like Costco's service. This is my first CCTV installation, though I am a home DIY person. Any help, advice, or insight is appreciated.

Hope I can help a little here, new to a lot of this but have a similar cheap system.

1: For weatherproofing you can try and find PVC conduit boxes but sealing the cable can get messy. You might be able to find a cord grip that will fit that cable but those premade cable are really thin stuff. Basically they are a cable clamp that has a rubber cork in it. Push the cable through and then tighten them down. I've seen some that are made for pre made cables or something similar. Think they have a split in the rubber. The other option is something we've used in the radio world for years, Coax-Seal. Basically a rubber tape that you wrap around the connections then mold it into a blob around it. Works great.

2: They seem to be weatherproof enough. I've had mine up for 2 years and haven't had any weather issues with them but I live in New Mexico. Heat and UV is the biggest enemy.

3: If you're not in a rush to get these up I would run better cable. I'm currently rewiring all of my cameras with forum recommended CAT5e. You'd need to put these into a box since you have to run baluns for the video and an adapter for power. But the provided cables do work for the most part. The downside like you said is drilling the large holes to pull the premade connections through.

4: With CAT5e you can run power in the same cable as video. I'm currently experimenting with it and seeing what happens since I've gotten mixed posts about combining split signals. If you look under my profile you can see the post about RG-59 quality issues. You can successfully patch the premade cables together...just takes patience with these. I had one that got a break and I was able to solder it back together. VERY small wires though. That little cable houses 4 wires so you do the math on how small they are. Not the best stuff.

Glasssplinter

Thank you for your reply. I decided to replace the provided siamese cable with better quality solid core copper cable and crimp new connectors. Yeah, I can't think of a better solution than electrical boxes, though I wish there was a more elegant one. Thanks for introducing me to Coax Seal; I had never heard of it and it seems like a practical material.

Thanks again for your post.

I'm in the same boat right now. Since I'm going with CAT I need to have some protection for the baluns so those round metal boxes for outside lights are all I can come up with. At least it matches the house color With crimped connectors you'll definitely want some protection since those are not weatherproof. Compression connections seal on the cable, same things that your cable company uses. Hope they're working for you now!

you can use pvc pipe with the rounded endcaps. looks a bit like a white hot dog. cut notches in to each endcaps. pick the size pvc that will hold all the connectotrs you are going to have. opening later is done by pulling either cap off.

not real pretty but durable, works well unmounted, and not very expensive. the harder you push on the endcaps helps the fit to be more airtight. this helps to keep out water and wasps.

lots of things will work. electrcal tape will do ok for a year or two but it is messy and a pain to undo when checking the connection later. COAXial connections and thr 3.5mm power plugs are very robust. I keep the baluns dry in a tube, box, or camera housing.

hope that gives you some ideas

you can use pvc pipe with the rounded endcaps. looks a bit like a white hot dog. cut notches in to each endcaps. pick the size pvc that will hold all the connectotrs you are going to have. opening later is done by pulling either cap off.

not real pretty but durable, works well unmounted, and not very expensive. the harder you push on the endcaps helps the fit to be more airtight. this helps to keep out water and wasps.

lots of things will work. electrcal tape will do ok for a year or two but it is messy and a pain to undo when checking the connection later. COAXial connections and thr 3.5mm power plugs are very robust. I keep the baluns dry in a tube, box, or camera housing.

hope that gives you some ideas

Good ideas, thanks!

I am installing a Lorex LHD818 eight channel system from Costco. I chose this system because I am on a tight budget, liked the HD resolution, and like Costco's service. This is my first CCTV installation, though I am a home DIY person. Any help, advice, or insight is appreciated.

I am thinking of upgrading my 960h system to this (Lorex LHD818). Do the cat 5 baluns work? That is how I have run all of my existing cameras. Also I am curious if 960H cameras will work with this. Unfortunately I just ordered a new 960h PTZ dome before seeing this. I could have bought the 720p version of the dome. The one I bought is claimed as 1200tvl though... http://www.ebay.com/itm/301234016511