Sign in to follow this  
wxman

Connecting 2 Pan/Tilt Scanners

Hi,

I've got an analog PTZ dome camera (RS-485 to connect camera to Pan/Tilt head, etc.) and goes to a network adapter to convert to IP so that I can plug into my router with an ethernet cable and remotely control via internet.

The problem is the pan/tilt scanner inside of the dome only has a 90º tilt range (i.e. can look between the horizon and straight down). I need to be able to view above the horizon sometimes, as well.

Instead of having to start over from scratch, I would like to get a second pan/tilt scanner with RS-485 cable, mount a piece of board to this, then mount my dome camera to this board (see attached graphic).

That way when I need to see higher up into the sky (above horizon), I could revert to this second pan/tilt scanner which would lift the whole dome (and the board it's installed on) upward at an angle. Basically this would mean two pan/tilt scanners that can be controlled to allow for a better tilt range.

I'm assuming I could chain this second pan/tilt device in with an RS-485 into the same connection with the original pan/tilt device, IR lights, etc. Just making sure that the dip switches on this added pan/tilt scanner are set to the same protocol and to a different address. Would almost be like daisy chaining 2 PTZ cameras together, except the second assumed PTZ camera in this case is actually just a pan/tilt scanner that moves the platform that the original dome camera is mounted on. (hopefully this makes sense)

First, would this even be possible to do? and second, when I need to move the camera remotely, how would I be able to tell my computer interface if I want it to move pan/tilt scanner 1 or pan/tilt scanner 2? The interface comes with arrow keys that when clicked can control the current internal pan/tilt scanner. I'm just unsure how I could go about telling it when I want to activate this second pan/tilt scanner to move the whole dome and mounting platform upward.

Thanks for any advice you could provide!

Dome.thumb.JPG.81557754c51e1e9ea7ada617b89e653f.JPG

That would look like crap, but it could work. But I am quite sure your analog to IP adapter only allows to configure one set of PTZ data, so you probably would not be able to send commands to two different addresses.

So when you want to move the PTZ scanner, you would have to edit the config, change the address, go back to live view,... Doesn't look that useful.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I'll just have to start over from scratch with a new system. Guess I'll post a topic on another category to get some recommendations on a new setup with everything I need already built in.