Sign in to follow this  
shawn3090

First time IP Camera system advice

I have a ~20 channel analog CCTV system at a small business, and I need to upgrade it. The cameras are around 400 lines each, with some outdoor ones that somehow survive Wisconsin winters without any housing. It was all installed before I began working here. The existing coaxial cabling is a complete mess, and we have no idea what goes where anymore. Based on other threads here, I have decided to go with an IP camera system, but I have no experience with IP surveillance. I have used an Axis 206 back in 2009, but that was for live digital image processing, not recording. We have a brand new netgear r7000 router and a gigabit LAN ready to plug everything into.

For cameras, I am considering ACTi. They seem to be well recommended here and not too expensive. At this point I am looking at the D and E series box cameras. The main difference between them seems to be WDR. Is this worth it/necessary on indoor and/or outdoor uses? The E series (WDR) are much more expensive, and I would also be buying the models with adjustable lenses. Also, is 1 MP a high enough resolution to discern faces when the camera is mounted 16 feet from the floor, or should I go for the 3-5 MP models? Does anybody have sample video from any ACTi D or E series camera, or any other recommendations? I am trying to stay with the low cost cameras (no Axis etc. please).

I know that the ACTi cameras come with free NVR software, but I am still not sure whether I want a dedicated one or not. The ACTi ENR-140 looks good, but is it compatible with other brand IP cams if I decide to expand in the future? I will probably end up using only 12 of the channels, as a lot of the existing cameras are redundant, especially if the new ones have a decent resolution.

Finally, PoE. I need a good PoE switch that can power all of these cameras. Ideally we are looking for 3 or so 8-port switches because our surveillance area is quite large. Everything I am looking at is only 10/100 (no gigabit) or has only a few PoE ports, and I basically need a good recommendation.

Anything else I am missing? Any other camera/NVR brand recommendations? Where are some good places to buy the stuff from (is bhphotovideo.com good?)

Not trying to be a jerk, but I think you should work with a local dealer/installer, just because when you have problems, they will help you out. You are basically asking someone to design entire system for you over the internet, that is nearly impossible to do.

I am not an installer or a dealer, I am more of a hobbyist who has installed cameras around my own property and business.

Good luck