crise

need recommendation on 5-10 ft range camera

I want to put a camera above a doorway (just out of reach, so the subject may be 5-10 feet from the camera). I want to emphasize clarity/quality of the image (I will be storing images as wavelet). Since it is a covered doorway, it wont get full sun but will get full darkness. Budget is $200. I was leaning toward a day/night camera with cut filter, but the ones I see have enough IR LEDs for 30+ feet, and I wonder if that is too much light for a 5-10 foot distance. Or should I just go monochrome with IR LED? I would prefer dome but am open to suggestions. Also, please estimate the lens size. Thanks. Cris

Get it without the IR, a normal day night dome with IR Cut Filter, then use a seperate IR such as the WizKid WZ12LED .... otherwise, if it is not viewing outside such as not looking at any trees, grass, bush, etc. you could get away with a Color IR dome (typically dont have Cut Filters - except for Extreme and a couple others), they generally have a small IR range anyway, no matter what they claim, so should be fine.

Thanks for the reply, Rory. Do you suggest monochrome or day/night? I want surveillance-quality images.

Either one, if using IR doesnt matter if Day Night or BW ... Day Night would give you color in the day time is all. Ive used Day Night OEM domes (with IR cut filter) with the WZ12LED with good success, see below.

8-05-43-PM.jpg8-05-27-PM.jpg

Rory, thanks again for your help. I've learned a lot from all your posts on this forum. I'm investigating Wizkid stuff now (I didn't know about them till you mentioned them). I like the WZ46N as an integrated solution, especially with 3.6 mm lens, if I can get the same day/night resolution as the pics you posted above.

Probably, though the Dome used above is an OEM True Day Night with IR Cut Filter, and then a seperate WZ12LED.

Ive used the WZ46Z2 before, only thing is it has no IR Cut Filter so its washed out colors outdoors where there is alot of green, or other areas that pick up alot of IR from the sun.