cqz123

problems with dahua nvr and pss

I working on a new system about 50 ONVIF cameras using a Dahua Super NVR that supports 64 channels @ 1080p. All cameras end up plugged into a Cisco 2960 switch. At points where the cameras are mounted on poles they are plugged into smaller 5 port gigabit netgear switches. The cameras are setup 7fps @ 1080p H264 VBR 5000kbps for the main stream and 500 for the substream. Seems like at most times loading these cameras in the PSS software barely works, some channels come up, other don't. Picking the substream does not seems to alter the chances of it work either.

I can connect directly to these cameras without issues and even using the provided client software from the manufacturer. The only problem there is switching between main/substream usually has an annoying delay of 2-5 secs.

Anyone have any ideas I can try to get this working better?

Thanks

Cameras are generic ONVIF, not branded..... I didn't purchase these

NVR is connected to the 2960 switch directly as are a few other cameras. Those on longer runs are plugged into a netgear gigE switch and then back to the 2960.

PSS is running on Windows 7 x64.

In this case at most 9 are on screen(using the substream by default) @ 500kbps. The dvr is recording both streams fine. Traffic from all cameras is coming in @ 72Mbps according to the dvr's network load screen. Spec sheet says its capable of 320Mbps. It's only when switching to full screen or toggling the main/sub stream that lag issues appear. The computer or software seems to be the bottleneck. CPU never hits over 75% even with a 2x2 in 1080p. Network load never hits over 20Mbps. It's very strangs like the software is acting up or possibly that it's maxing out one cpu core and only appearing to be using ~50% total..

The vendor supplying the DVR has told me to abandon VBR and switch to CBR. I've set the bitrate for the 1080p stream to 3500kbps for testing and left the substream at 500. So far PSS does seem to respond better and loads channels when necessary alot quicker. It's just still having issues when going fullscreen just not as bad. The computer has an nvidia 8600 series card and it's not looking pushed hard either.

Could I just need a beefier machine to handle this?

Something's fishy around there. DVR is one, NVR6000 is another thing and PSS clients are another one thing... If you want the job done right, PM me with the details and the requirements.

NVR6000 has local decoding capabilites so no others PCs/decoding clients are required unless we are talking about a distributed system...