TheRock598

WD HD for Surveillance system

Greetings to All,

This is my first post here and I hope I have it under the correct subtitle.

I just bought my first surveillance system a

LaVew LV-KDV2804W1 8 Channel H.264 Level 960H 8CH HD Security DVR System w/ Easy DIY 4 x 1000TVL Infrared Surveillance Cameras (No HDD)

I also bought a Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

I got the HD a day before receiving the security system so I installed the drive in my Windows 8.1 computer and formatted it first with NTFS. The drive works fine.

I then installed the WD drive in the system and started it up only to find it did not pick up the installed HD I used the wizard to detect the drive and it attempted to format but came back with abnormal instead of successful.

Is this drive compatible with the system or am I missing something?

Greatly appreciate any help in this matter

cheers

Sorry to hear you have a problem...

BUT 'WHO' TOLD YOU TO FORMAT IT WITH NTFS?

Actually the WD Purple is the one you should have purchased as it is designed for security (CCTV) installations.

That doesn't mean that the blue won't work but why did you format it before putting it in the DVR? The DVR is perfectly capable of formatting the drive and will usually format an unformatted drive immediately it boots. Most instruction manuals cover the subject of installing the HDD.

I would recommend that you remove the drive, reformat it to a basic DOS format (sorry not sure of the correct name) and then try it in your DVR again. Use the wizard to detect it and then format it. With any luck, it should format correctly this time.

Thank you for the reply.

The reason I formatted it was because I wanted to test the new drive first to see if it worked and I wasn't sure if the surveillance system box would format it. I got the WD drive the day before. I just assumed a 1 TB drive was supposed to be formatted NTFS. Maybe I was wrong.

I shall follow your instructions and see if the system picks up the drive then.

I will post here with results.

cheers

Awesome it worked! I removed the volume on the WD drive and then placed it in the surveillance system box and it automatically prompted me to format it. It is now showing up as connected to device.

Greatly appreciate your help in resolving this issue I had. I was worried that I may have to buy another drive. If only they would state in the specifications that certain drives are recommended, I would have bought the correct drive. I may still buy the proper drive recommended for these type of systems later.

cheers

Just an update on the status of the WD drive.

I noticed some days the drive is showing in the dvr and other days it shows 0 MB and cannot detect the drive. So I swapped it out for a WD 500GB drive which has been working for several days now but a bit noisy. Placed the WD 1TB in my computer and works fine.

I have purchased a WD Purple 1TB sata3 WD10PURX drive and is being shipped to me now. Maybe the dvr picked up something irregular with the WD10EZEX.

cheers

My DVR Hikvision support only sata 2

It applies only to wd drives.

So if a hard drive is sata 3

it can be downgraded to sata 2 with simple jumper

Like this.

Pic is from a pc.

Wdsata.jpg.a20749552fe65362103d44757f80d475.jpg

My DVR Hikvision support only sata 2

It applies only to wd drives.

So if a hard drive is sata 3

it can be downgraded to sata 2 with simple jumper