Sign in to follow this  
LoseTheMullet

Newb Needs Help

Hi,

I'm brand new to this IP network camera stuff so my understanding of things is still quite confused after a week of looking at different cameras and software.

Here's what I want to do - rig up a bunch of 1080P PTZ cameras throughout a house, then from a remote location control the cameras and stop/start the cameras recording to their on board memory cards. My confusion is if I use NVR recording software does that software have to be running on a PC that is on site where the cameras are? Or can I run that software from a remote location via the Internet? IF I have to have the PC running the recording software on site can I use remote PC software like TeamViewer to control the PC effectively or will it be to too slow?

As far as cameras go I have been looking at ACTi B9x - they are 1080P PTZ domes. I'd rather not spend that much money, they are about 900 dollars, open to suggestion for similar cameras in the 4-500 dollar range.

Thanks for any advice that gets posted!

if you are recording to SD cards in the cameras, I would guess that the camera handles all the recording with no need for an NVR. You connect directly to each camera via an application or web interface.

If you want an NVR, then it needs (most likely) to be local to the cameras. How much data you can pump out via the internet will depend on what bandwidth and speed you have available. The NVR will be able to be controlled via an application or web interface.

If you want to record via software on a PC then you could use TeamViewer / VNC or possibly an application or web interface.