Sign in to follow this  
Baileyb

How many POE ports do i need? (New Switch)

hi everyone,

I have a NVR with 4 poe ports built in, but going to move this to a different floor.

However the cables are wired to the old place so need to route these to the new place.

I was thinking as already have wired ethernet cables there and ending where the final place will be is add a POE switch and route it there.

So 4 camera cables in > Poe switch > ethernet cable single > wired into NVR

would this work?

And as i have 4 cables coming in what size POE switch would i require would a 4 port be fine and use one of the standard ports to wire into my NVR? I asume this is wired into a spare POE port on my NVR.

Hopefully this makes sence.

And any advice would be great

8-port/4-port poe switch would be fine unless you plan to use more cameras. Also you need to know the power requirements for the cameras before making your choice.

Not sure about your NVR but you need to check that it can identify the 4 cameras coming through the one port on the NVR.

The poe switch can only deliver 50w for example to the poe ports so if your combined cameras use more than that then you are in trouble.

In your case, you should be fine since the Hikvision cameras are low powered. I have a new Hikvision DS-2CD2732-IS in front of me and it states 5.5w Max.

A D-Link DGS-1008P, Netgear GS108P, TP-LINK TL-SG1008P and the ZyXEL GS1100-8HP would do if you want a gigabit switch.

I have a new Hikvision DS-2CD2732-IS in front of me and it states 5.5w Max.

5.5W max in day mode, 7W with IR on. Also, that's 7W at the camera, not to be confused with 7W at the switch which does take line loss into consideration. For example, the 15.4W standard for PoE is really 12.9W at the camera. So you would need 8.3W at the switch to equal 7W at the camera but it varies by cable length.

Besides 4 PoE ports, is there any other ethernet port in NVR?

4 IPCs --> PoE Switch -->NVR is available, the camera powered by PoE switch and data transfer to NVR by one cable from PoE Switch.

Yes the NVR is a 8 port (4 POE).

So 4 IPC's - POE Switch - Ethernet cable - Plugged into one of the non poe ports on nvr?

Would plugging it into a poe port on the NVR have any benefit to it?