Sign in to follow this  
300winmag

Confused with this new system, need some help understanding.

So we took our Q-see systems back a while ago and know we are looking at http://www.costco.com/AvertX-16-Channel-NVR-with-4TB-HDD-and-10-Autofocus-3MP-HD-IP-Dome-Cameras.product.100097394.html

It has 3MP resolution vari focal cameras, the NVR records up to 3MP, but the display resolution on the NVR is only 1080P. Now why would one spend so much money upgrading to 3MP when you can only view 1080P? My monitors are only 1080P, What am I missing?

You can zoom in to get the full resolution.

On most cams, the difference between 1080p and 3MP isn't resolution in terms of pixels per foot, but in the area covered. Likewise, the cost difference between 3MP and 1080P is usually negligible.

That is, 3MP gives more pixels horizontally and vertically for more degrees of field of view, but you don't get any more pixels per foot, just more feet of coverage. So, for the part of the image that's the same in 1080p and 3MP, the resolution is exactly the same.

Hik 2xxx series cams are different; the 3MP image is scaled and gives a smaller horizontal FOV than 1080p, but most cameras don't do this.

That said, most affordable NVRs only support 1080p viewing, regardless of the recorded resolution. To get more, you'll need to go with a PC and a higher resolution monitor.

Interesting, So is this package to much money for what I'm getting then? They come in a 4 camera set up as well, which is another option but if I'm not going to see a huge difference then what the hell. I was really hoping to buy the cameras from costco cause of there return policy.

Hard to say without knowing more about the cameras and NVR.

The cams are 3x zoom with auto-focus, which can be handy and adds more to the cost. NVR costs depend a lot on things like maximum bandwidth, and this one has high power POE, which also adds value. Without knowing more, it sounds like a piece of quality gear, but that could all be marketing.

I'm not sure anyone figured out who makes the AvertX gear originally.