zircon

Camera Selection

What do you guys think about this camera and capture card for a beginner?..

I'll be putting these outside the house to monitor the backyard/garage and front entrance. It's a two story home, most likely will attach the cameras to the eve of the house and add some motion sensors with lights to illuminate the area at night.

4 Sylvanias SY1110

http://sylvaniastore.strategicvista.com/pdfs/SY1110-spec.pdf

1 AverDVR 4 EYES pro

http://www.aver.com/2005home/product/dvr/window/4eyespro/4eyespro.shtml

I would like to be able to monitor the cameras from the web from my office or when I'm on vacation. I have DSL and would like to back up the video to an off-site server as motion is detected. I think that card supports that but I'm not sure.

Basically this is a cheap system < $300.00, If you have any suggestions that would fall within the same price range please let me know.

Thanks all!

I'll comment on the camera suggestion......find something else for outdoors!

This is a CMOS imaging device not like the CCD imagers we see in most cameras. Although there are advantages/disadvantages of these cameras uniformity (image quality) is far superior in CCD. Although the CMOS does offer a compact package and low power consumption, it will have a low image quality therefore not intended for low light applications.

As well, the 3.7 mm lens indicates it's very slow (high F stop) 0.1 LUX @ F2.0.

You might have a look at some of the other cameras such as

www.specotech.com who might have a camera you're looking for.

Cheers........Rapid

rapid, Great reply very informative, I'll check out the cameras you recommended they seem to be within my budget and are available through my favorite online store amazon. Thanks!

Spot on ...

Cant comment on the DVR card as never used it, not seen any feedback on them yet.