bumann

Perimeter Protection / video analytics

Hi,

i need a solution for permeter protection, for solarpark. What solution did you prefere?

Video analytics with standard cams or thermal cam or traditional pir or microswave ... or combination

Software analytics or handware appliances.

Thanks for your optinion.

Greetings bumann

Big guys in this area use normal cameras (well, not just any brand!) combined with outdoor PIRs. They sell appliances that are aware of both these and integrate them to minimize false alarms. However, I find this way too expensive (5 zeros price for real systems, not diy stuffs), since you need cameras installed each 50m, in order to be effective and the poles should have a very limited move due to wind load (just a few mm at top), in order to reduce false motion detection. Then add communication redundancy, power supply backup

Just motion detection from cameras is a total no go, since you will have tons of false alarms. And no backup if a camera fails.

After installing 2 system like this (for solar power plants), I would say give up cameras and use outdoor PIRs and microwave barriers (again, serious stuffs, not jokes). Install cameras just for verifying the false alarms and status of the fence.

If you get into thermal vision zone... you're talking big numbers too,if you really want to cover such a perimeter. Thermal cameras are not cheap. I've seen "budget" solutions, with a central camera... what a joke. And imagine that camera goes down... you are on your own.

Good luck!

Thanks for your answer. My idea was to use pir outdoor motion detectors like ADPRO PRO E ( http://www.heitel.com/en/products/pir-adpro-pro-e/index.html ) and some PTZ Domes for alarm verification. But i think the PTZ needs big IR Lighter. I think i could combine the pir with ptz, when a alarm occours, the pzt go to pir covered area. I have heard, many firms use thermal cams with video analytics, but a thermal cam all 50 Meter is a very expensive solution.

That depends on how your perimeter looks and about distances. Forget about putting 1-2 speed domes in the middle, as you will not see the fence, unless you are very very high, which translates into shadow for pannels; at least people I worked with do not accept this kind of shadows.

Hikvision and Dahua have very nice speed domes, with long range IR. I have installed Hikvision (20x optical zoom, 100-130m smart IR), which work fine, but they are blind over 150-200m during the night, if you do not have some IR illumination that's closer to the targeted area (if that area is beyond 100m). Also, if there is fog, speed dome cameras are quite useless.

Pay attention to the fact that the solution you are looking at does not have backup. Also, you have no idea if a PIR is defective or not, since you do not have a secondary system that will alert you. You might have gaps in perimeter and you have no idea about it.

Use a mw barrier (take a look at Predix) or a vibration detection cable that's put on the fence all around. The latter is actually quite popular in this solar field, but it might get you a lot of false alarms, even with the meteo station (without that you are screwed anyway, as any wind/raid will trigger it).

Bottom line: do not rely on a single system, as you will have no idea if you are really protecting your site or not.

Depending on how much light you have to work with I would we would use analytics with day/night or thermal cameras.

With low cost thermal cameras you can get well beyond 50m for detection range

Thnaks for very interesting and helpful anwers. I will have a look at different solutions at security show in essen/germany and will discuss it later here in forum.