I recently purchased a SD6C230S-HN PTZ... and just have it sitting on our stair railing in the house for now to test it.

It is not connected to an NVR yet but is on my internal firewalled network.

My room mate called me this morning and told me it was moving around, and clicking so I asked her to unplug it.

Does anyone know why this camera would move around by itself without anyone controlling it?

I also noticed when controlling it (connecting to it directly), I'd click on the pan button once, and the camera would almost do a 180 degree pan.

These are not cheap cameras (to me), so I'm a bit surprised that it seems unstable.

btw.. I noticed many IP cameras have grounding connections... do people usually ground them?

Thanks.

Many PTZ IP Cameras run some kind of routine check when they're powered up. So this might be caused by powerloss. Especially when camera is powered up by PoE, and the PoE switch cannot produce enough power to the camera, it might get stuck in a loop of restarts.

One camera i saw this problem with booted up, ran a 270 degrees back and worth movement, then flipped once and stopped for few seconds, then booted up again and same routine ran on startup, until i switched it to external power.

Thank you for the reply.

This one actually has its own power supply (24v) and is not connected to a POE port.

It's also been powered on for a few days.

Oh I'll check that.

Any idea if is it normal for the gears to click like that.. like its going outside the limits of its movement?

Dex.. I think you were right.. there was a reboot enabled (by default). Tuesdays at 2am.. and I think since the clock was out, it happened right when my room mate was next to it.

Thanks for all the replies and help

You're welcomed.

It's a DAHUA product and we haven't encounter this kind of unusual behaviour from them. By the way, setup the DNS servers, NTP server and DST so it will automatically update the hour - no more 2am reboots when it's 1pm.

Oh I'll check that.

Any idea if is it normal for the gears to click like that.. like its going outside the limits of its movement?

You said the camera is "sitting on our stair railing", is it upside down compared to normal installation (when connectors are facing the sky and the dome facing to ground). Some PTZ cameras i've seen/tried have made weird sounds (clicking, grinding, scratching) under heavy movement when facing to sky.

I believe this is because the lens (and everything connected to it) are rather heavy and gravity pulls them down, causing more friction and making the motors work harder.

You said the camera is "sitting on our stair railing", is it upside down compared to normal installation (when connectors are facing the sky and the dome facing to ground). .

Hi.. no. its mounted correctly using the wall bracket. I just used some rope through the screw holds and around the column.

258356_1.jpg