Sign in to follow this  
ps0303

Continuos recording or motion only

So now that I have my system up and running I am wondering how most people record. Do most folks record based upon a motion triggering the camera or just let it roll recording 24x7? I'm sure a 24x7 recording would eat up HD space pretty quickly.

I have a Q-see 804 system with 4 cameras.

That would depend on what you want from the recorder. If you have the settings set for highest resolution , highest frame rate but only have a 250Gb HDD and want 8 weeks of storage then you are clearly it wont happen. You will need to either drop the resolution , drop the frame rate , increase your HDD size , go to motion activated recording or any combination of these. So it is a trade off between all these things & only you can decide how to go.

I like to have full time recording so you know that if something happened then you have it recorded. The important thing is to retrieve the footage before it is overwritten. Motion detection will result in lots of false activation and there is always the chance the very thing you want is missed.

Currently I am running the system as it came out of the box. Mostly because I haven't had much time to fiddle with it yet. I do have a 1TB drive in the system.