chrisuk

Front door camera

Hi ,

I've spent quite a bit of time looking around on forums/Google for a front door camera.

Ideally I'd like to see who is at the front door but have the camera hidden. I've seen a couple of flood lights with built in cameras but can't seem to find any sensible ones for front door/porch.

Has anyone seen anything like this? This is for the uk.

Thanks

You will find that the biggest problem with peephole cameras is that because

of their location, the light is blocked by the subject standing directly in front of

both the camera and blocking the available light. Rather like a person standing

between you and a vehicle headlight.

I haven't seen anything that's truly hidden and at the same time worth using, at least in a reasonable price range. Can you not get inventive and build something yourself? A camera can be hidden in a bunch of things. Ultimately you need only the lens exposed if you're able to rely on day time or exterior lighting.

I have thought about how I could make another style of camera perform this job, but frankly it's not an economic option.

I wouldn't be able to sell what I could produce. If money were no object sure I could design one for the specific purpose and get it made in qualtity in China. Frankly nobody else has done so because there just isn't a high enough demand.

Seems like you should be able to use a tiny wireless spy cam off of ebay etc.., and mount a couple of brass contacts in the door jam (hinge side) to keep the battery charged. Add some 940 nm LED's for invisible IR light and you're all set. A lot of work but really depends on how invisible you want to be...

But personally I like for people to know they're on camera. Almost considered painting them some sort of day glow color...

The LOW TECH way of letting people KNOW they are on cameras is yo tell them with a sign.

Not exactly rocket science is it?

I don't see the point of HIDDEN cameras, in all but exceptional circumstances it's desirable to

let the subject know beyond any doubt that they are on camera to deter any misbehavior and to persuade

them to think twice before doing anything wrong at your door. "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure" and all that....

Often times I see a new client and they say we want 4 hidden cameras. When I enquire why they want hidden

cameras they mostly don't know the answer. They just think that it's clever to have hidden cameras

like they see on some TV shows that feature covert CCTV footage.

Anyway getting back on thread, the main problem with door cameras is that the subject is standing blocking the light.

You could use an intercom camera that has LED support but it will not be hidden and be rather overt which could be

an advantage. MY own is a purpose made front door camera but as said before they are far from perfect. They do look

just like a slightly larger peephole viewer and to the average person, go unnoticed.

When a subject is close enough to ring the doorbell (Presumably the bell push is in the door frame) and the camera is placed in the door itself, high resolution isn't that important although its not an impedance either.