Sign in to follow this  
fplenin

Balun hub right usage

Hi all

I have a long distance between 4 cameras and the other ones and DVR...I was thinking about using a balun hub inteast of using 4 UTP cables (1 for each camera). Seems easier to do (just passing one utp cable and a 120v cable together, inteast of several utp cables) and less bulky. Usually I see balun hubs near a DVR, but not in the camera side, far from a DVR...would it work that way also?

*see the attachment for details

thanks u all

Untitled.png.73a79b103ff742cd8023ab5f827e3f6d.png

You can do precisely that and using a more local power supply to reduce voltage drop.

You should maintain a voltage of 12VDC + or - 10% at the camera. Staying within this range you should not have any issues provided the power supply has a suitable amps rating for the supported cameras.

Also remembering that orange pair is chan 1/5/9 or13 white stripe conductors being pos, you could put a single channel balun (twop in a pair) at each camera and splice the video cable to the video return where your second balun is shown. You can then use the remaining three pairs to carry the power to the camera. Remember to adhere to the rule that the white stripe is pos and seperate the three pairs into white stripe and solid colours the solids twisted together being the neg line.

We do this all the time, but you are relying on the manufacturer of the 4 way balun to adhear to the TIA T568B colour code

Chan1 = orange pair

Chan 2 = green pair (split)

Chan3 = Blue pair

Chan4 = ~Brown pair

White / Colour conductors are POS

The solid colours are Neg

Then your colour code should read

Pin 1 + ve W/0

Pin 2 - ve orng

Pin 3 + ve W/Grn

Pin 4 - ve Blue

Pin 5 + ve W/Blue

Pin 6 - ve Grn

Pin 7 + ve W/Brn

Pin 8 - ve Brn

We have extended this to our own wiring that any CCTV engineer who happens across it can quickly understand the wiring and have written a tutorial which I have PM'd you

*hat off*

Thanks a lot guys...pretty useful info. I needed to be sure before buying the stuff.

I guess in the other side I'll just use regular (single chanel) video baluns to connect my UTP cable pairs to the DVR...

You could also do that on the other end. The balun hub (I do not even know if its called like that) just makes connections easier, and you end up having a smaller cable mess.