I am pretty computer savy but this new Windows 8 and this security system have me completely baffled. I have only been able to get the unit unpacked and am lost as to how to hook it up. I got the software installed and it wants a IP address which I need to create have no idea how to create a new IP address. I don't want to mess up the working network I already have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karen Carlson

car1208@aol.com

I recently purchased the Bunker Hill 8-channel Surveillance DVR with 4 cameras. There is not a model number but the item # is 61229. I purchased this at Harbor Freight. I do not have a extra monitor to hook up to it so I am trying to use my laptop. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 8. I have a Ethernet cable hooked up the DVR and to the router. I have cable internet. I hope this helps I am sorry I should have been more specific with my first post.

Thank you

Karen

I recently purchased the Bunker Hill 8-channel Surveillance DVR with 4 cameras. There is not a model number but the item # is 61229. I purchased this at Harbor Freight. I do not have a extra monitor to hook up to it so I am trying to use my laptop. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 8. I have a Ethernet cable hooked up the DVR and to the router. I have cable internet. I hope this helps I am sorry I should have been more specific with my first post.

Thank you

Karen

first understand that this is a very low end system and will give you poor image at best..if you want to spend that little you are way better of with this 720p zmodo system http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=7440744&SID=32a633f621cc4ac19adad143c2a178f5&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16881523074&cm_sp=

You only have to run one cable to it (ethernet) and it powers and transmits data of the one cable...the image will be much better than your system from HF..

That said..every device connected to your network is assigned an ip address by your router..to find it you need to go to login to your router and look at the connected devices...alternatively use an ip scanner like this

http://angryip.org/

I am not sure I can return the unit to Harbor freight. I am going to download the router software you recommend. The instruction manual with the security system gives detailed instructions on what IP address to give the DVR but no help on how to set up the new IP

Karen

Sorry to be a bother but I downloaded the software and I can't get it to work at all it just says I have no domains. I was able to use cmd then ipconfig and it says I have no Ethernet connected.

Sorry to be a bother but I downloaded the software and I can't get it to work at all it just says I have no domains. I was able to use cmd then ipconfig and it says I have no Ethernet connected.

is you computer connected to your router?

Not physically just with WiFi would that make a difference? I am able to get the DVR main menu to load but it asks for a IP address which I am not able to create for the DVR

no you can be on wif thats fine...how are you getting to the dvr main menu?

If you are using an ip address to access the dvr then just use that ip address for your dvr...you dont create ip addesss, they are either assigned by the router or you set your device to grab one (static ip)

Take a screen shot of the page (windows 8 has a snipping tool) and post it here...

As an aside, if you want the start button back in windows 8, download classic shell http://www.classicshell.net/

I loaded the software CD they gave me onto my computer and then it takes me to the menu where I need to give it a IP address but when I use that IP address it says I don't have network access. I will try to get a screen shot and post here

Karen

Make sure your are not using a guest wifi network..also make sure you are connected as a home network and not public (windows allows you to connect as, home, work or public..) You can change this after the fact in network and sharing center..

Its rare that a router will be at .106 that might be your computer...

Regardless, it looks like this unit comes from the factory set to a static ip address that may be in a different range than your router..first try this

From your browser try 192.168.0.218:3001

if that does not work, try 192.168.0.218 in your software however change the client port to 3000 not 3001

make sure you enter the correct password

try using http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/ make sure you uncheck the boxes where it asks you to install toolbars etc...dont install any other junk except the scanner..i use this and it works very well.

Last resort you will need to hook the dvr up to a monitor (many tvs have a vga in as well)...and set the ip address to something within your routers ip range...probably 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254

This is what I get when I use the IP advance scan software. I am still not able to get the security to work at all. How do I get the password for the login screen? It is not my network password. It doesn't accept enough characters.

Thank you so much for all the help you have given me. I recently suffer a burglary so this is a important thing I am trying to get done.

Karen

945942548_CaptureusingAdvancedIP.PNG.6a5a99aec001d1b5a5feaa514910bba4.PNG

Thank you I will have to get a monitor. Can I hook it up to my laptop using a VGA cord instead of through the network? Then I am confused how I get a new IP address set up? I tried the VGA cord but it didn't seem to work it just made my screen go black.

You all have been wonderful and patient.

Karen

No, you just cannot hook it to you laptop you laptop only has vga out...did you check your TV to see if it has a vga connection?

The manual has step by step directions on setting up the ip address...you will need to use the controls on the dvr...you can take the dvr to someone who has a monitor and set it up...then bring it back home...

set the ip address up to dhcp that way the router will assign an ip address for you (you will change this later to keep the ip address the same, but for now leave it at dhcp), then you will connect it to your network, and you will be able to find the device using advanced ip scanner..