LewisO

Hikvision NVR questions

Hi, I've been playing around with a couple of single Hikvision cameras, they are DS-2CD2432F-IW and the DS-2CD2032-I. Very nice. I want to get a Hikvision NVR and more cameras for a business location. I'll likely use more of the same model of cameras.

Questions: as the NVR's seem to have only half their ports POE, how does one say put 14 POE cameras on a 16 port Hik NVR with only 8 ports POE?

Then, I can easily enough see the cameras in a web browser when using single cameras, reaching them via IP/port number. On Mac OS X in Safari, they open to a grey login screen and I can login.

I've tried to login to a Hikvision NVR a friend has and I get a maroon login window, and I input the login info and nothing happens. I can reach this NVR via iOS iVMS 4500 app, but it just doesn't want to work using any web browser I've tried in OS X. Any thoughts as to why it's not working? I do have the web components plugins.

Thanks in advance!

My advice; forget about NVRs with integrated POE ports, and get a POE switch. Or just use the integrated POE ports, and any more cameras you will need an extra switch (I do not like POE switches integrated inside the NVR).

Can't help you with a browser under OS X, but you could use iVMS-4200 for OS X. I think you can do everything, or almost everything from there.

OK, not to sound dumb, but if I get a POE switch, do all the cameras connect to the switch and then only one (or two?) ethernet connection is made to the NVR?

That way, it sounds like I could use a 16 port POE switch to cover all my cameras, and then could U use a smaller 8 port NVR or do the number of cameras have to match the number of NVR ports?

From my understanding

With a POE Switch, you plug your cameras into the POE switch to get power. (Power Over Ethernet)

So yes, your cameras go to the POE switch, and then a single cable comes down to the NVR.

If you buy a 16chan NVR, it doesn't matter how many POE ports there are if you use a switch. The NVR Should have a gigabit connection for

the cable, so you could use a 16chan poe switch.

The Cat5e cable is only capable of 1000Mbps of data. I don't recall the amount of data those cameras use. If you exceed this amount you

may have to use cat6 cable.

Someone else will chime in and make sure I'm correct I hope, because I'm pretty sure this is right but let's make sure.

Keep in mind you need 1 POE port for each camera, 1 port for the NVR, 1 port for connecting to the rest of the network/internet.

So, if you are only going to use 14 POE cameras, yes, you can use a 16 port POE switch. It would be cool to have at least 1Gbps port for the NVR; 100mbps might not be enough in some scenarios.

You can also get an NVR with 8 POE ports, and then use an extra 8 port POE switch. For 16ch cameras, I usually use D-Link DES-1210-28P (managed switch, 24 100mbps POE ports 100mbps, 2 1gbps ports that I use for NVR and network).

Do not mess "channels" and "ports". An 8 channel NVR will only allow you to use 8 cameras, no matter hoe many network ports you have.

Do not mess "channels" and "ports". An 8 channel NVR will only allow you to use 8 cameras, no matter hoe many network ports you have.

So, if I want more than 8 cameras, and I'm getting my POE on the switch, are you saying I need an NVR that has the number of channels equal to the number of cameras that I want to run?

Thanks!

Yes, he is.

If you want 16 Cameras, you need a 16 channel NVR.... Normally, a 16 Channel NVR will only have 8 POE Ports....

Channels = Cameras

POE Port = 1 single Powered Port for 1 Single camera. This POE port does both power, and video feed.

Let's run an example.

16 Channel NVR, with 8 POE Ports

You'll be able to connect 8 Cameras to that 16 Channel NVR, and then you'll have to have an addition 8 Port POE switch for the rest of the cameras. In addition to the 8POE ports on the NVR, there will be an additional Port, (Not POE) for a cable that goes to a poe switch.

Hopefully that helps.

understand this is only if you buy a 16channel Nvr that only has 8 poe. They offer them in 16 poe too.

But Understand that in addition to the POE ports, you'll have an additional port that goes to the router (LAN)(LAN=Local Area Network) Also known as the Router.... And your poe switch goes to the router too.

*Even If I bought a NVR with POE Ports I wouldnt use them. Because that is that many wires to run through the walls.

If I use a POE switch in the attic, I only have to run one single cable to the router, and then one from the router to the NVR LAN.

If you do a nvr with 8 poe ports, you'll have 9 wires coming through the wall or whereever. Your 8 poe cameras and then the 1 from the poe switch. Remember the poe switch doesn't go to the nvr, it goes to the router.

A quick google turned up this perfect photo diagram.

260857_1.png

For just a second we'll take it a step further. Say you wanted a SUPER DUPER 64 Channel (64 camera) setup.

It would work the same exact way, Each POE Switch would go to one single router, where your NVR will connect to as well..

Here is another photo diagram for that...

260857_2.png

Thanks for all the input. I'm likely to go with a 16 channel Hikvision NVR so I have enough channels in case I go over 8 cameras. I'm still puzzled by MindVisions suggestion to not use NVR's POE. It seems that most of the Hikvision NVRs have about half their ports as POE. Why not use them and use a POE switch for the cameras that go beyond the number of POE ports. Is it that POE ports die out, that they use more power and produce more heat? Again most of the NVRs from Hikvision look to incorporate POE. Thanks too for the info that POE switches connect to the router! and not the NVR. I'll just have to make sure my router has enough ports available. Also, it seems that a lot of the NVR ports and POE switch ports are 100m ethernet and not gigaspeed, I'm guessing this doesn't matter too much? The cameras we're looking at are all 3mp cameras.

Thanks again all, very much, for the insights that you've provided me!

Thanks for all the input. I'm likely to go with a 16 channel Hikvision NVR so I have enough channels in case I go over 8 cameras. I'm still puzzled by MindVisions suggestion to not use NVR's POE. It seems that most of the Hikvision NVRs have about half their ports as POE. Why not use them and use a POE switch for the cameras that go beyond the number of POE ports. Is it that POE ports die out, that they use more power and produce more heat? Again most of the NVRs from Hikvision look to incorporate POE. Thanks too for the info that POE switches connect to the router! and not the NVR. I'll just have to make sure my router has enough ports available. Also, it seems that a lot of the NVR ports and POE switch ports are 100m ethernet and not gigaspeed, I'm guessing this doesn't matter too much? The cameras we're looking at are all 3mp cameras.

No, they don't. You have all models without POE ports, and some of them also with integrated POE switch.

I always prefer to buy the POE switch myself. Why? The included POE switch is usually more expensive. The included POE switch makes it difficult to access the cameras web interface. The included POE switch is tied to the NVR, which means that upgrading the NVR in the future will force you to buy a new POE switch (or again, another NVR with integrated POE switch). The included POE switch forces you to get the UTp cable for a given camera all the way to wherever the NVR is.

If you have 16 cameras, you need to be sure to limit the bandwidth of each one, not to exceed the NVR's max total camera input bandwidth.

The Cat5e cable is only capable of 1000Mbps of data. I don't recall the amount of data those cameras use. If you exceed this amount you

may have to use cat6 cable.

Unless both the NVR and your POE switch supports 10Gb connection speed, the cat 6 isn't going to buy you anything if you exceed the 1000Mbps of data.