JWPenner

Remote viewing options

Hi I am wondering what people are using for remote access to their DVR's. I have been setting systems up via port forwarding and a ddns service for a while now but am concerned with its vulnerabilities. I've heard people putting the DVR in the DMZ but that would be worse I would imagine. other than setting up a VPN is there any other solutions? how unsafe is port forwarding?

If you understand that much, you should be able to select a router that does not use the DMZ for port forwarding.

Alternatively you could use a cloud based service if your DVR has that facility.

Personally if I were going to replace my router, I'd opt for a Draytek or Netgear.

Security is reasonably good on the Netgear and terrific on the Draytek

Do you have public IP address on router WAN?

Yes I do. with Shaw cable they provide you with 2 public IP addresses. I have dont this set-up before.

Cable Modem-----Network Switch------1 port going to DVR and another to the router. That eliminates the need for any sort of port forwarding but it means the DVR is completely unprotected from the internet.

If you understand that much, you should be able to select a router that does not use the DMZ for port forwarding.

Alternatively you could use a cloud based service if your DVR has that facility.

Personally if I were going to replace my router, I'd opt for a Draytek or Netgear.

Security is reasonably good on the Netgear and terrific on the Draytek

Both DMZ and Port forwarding are unsafe tho. My dvr doesn't have a cloud service but i guess if it did that would solve the problem...

Can you give us screenshot from your router and status tab?

Cable Modem-----Network Switch------DVR and my question is this real Network Switch without router (NAT)?

Can you give us screenshot from your router and status tab?

Cable Modem-----Network Switch------DVR and my question is this real Network Switch without router (NAT)?

It is just a "Dumb" switch. I'ts just there to split up the 2 external IP's given to me from the ISP. once it's all hooked up the IP of my dvr is just like the public Ip address of my router.

I understood that you have public IP address on DVR, is that correct? In this case you don't need to redirect any ports. You have to enter this public IP address on DVR network settings.

I understood that you have public IP address on DVR, is that correct? In this case you don't need to redirect any ports. You have to enter this public IP address on DVR network settings.

Like I said earlier. That setup works just fine except Now I have no firewall protecting the dvr; It's unprotected.

I have no firewall protecting the dvr; It's unprotected.

In this case your protect is only login and password without firewall and router NAT.

Password and Username are essential as hackers cane get into even the most secure firewalls.

It beggers belief when I see users setting up their admin accounts with no password or the default password

which can be found openly on the WWW.

Not being a computing expert, you need to introduce some form of firewall and port forward it. What about a sub=wifi network?

pickup a router with vpn like the asus models have. open vpn might be the safest. ip camera and nvr security is a bad joke. even my cams that have ssl still require unsecured ports to be forwarded to work. xprotect has ssl access so that might be a option. im with you on the concern and its scary that most will forward a port without ssl