bob0209

NVR to monitor 25 meter cat5e? will it work

Hi All,

With quite a bit of help from this forum, I managed to install my Hikvision IP cameras... Everything went really well thanks to everyone.

Now my NVR is in the attic and I connected a powerline adapter so I can view my cameras remotely from my computer (via PC), however there is a massive delay ie the images are either struck or a massive time delay. I think it has to with my network connection.

My request for advice is if I were to connect my NVR to my router directly ( about 25 metres) which needs quite a bit of drilling will it improve the spped? Or any other better way of doing this please?

Thanks in advance

Bob

What kind od PLC do you have? Can you make network seedtest on this PLC?

My request for advice is if I were to connect my NVR to my router directly ( about 25 metres) which needs quite a bit of drilling will it improve the spped? Or any other better way of doing this please?

Yes you can, max. cable length in ethernet is about 100 meters.

pla would be a inexpensive quick way to test your theory. But, a network is as strong as it's weakest link and I'd check your router and NVR first...........starting with the NVR. It should be able to tell you how much resources it is using. If it is running HIGH as a constant then you have to tweak that to get better performance. Most novice installers run cams at at 30fps or HIGHEST settings and if you have 6 cams on a Costco system running that high the impact to the NVR is seen in poor network performance. I'd unplug all cams except 1 and recheck. If the performance improves........duh.

Router can also be a choke point. Depending on the model you might get performance status from it? You can eliminate the router and retest via setting static IP's on PC & NVR and connecting direct to NVR. Again, if performance changes, duh.

Then you have the PC performances.........you can monitor them via your pc and then use another pc to verify.

If all of the above checks out GOOD then you have a cable issue......or wireless issue. Most novice installers plug in a router and go. Unknown to them all routers are set to a wireless channel of 6. So, if you live in a small tight community or apart complex and everyone did that you'd all be on the same channel 6 and, duh.

I use the pla's and they work fine..............I don't LIKE them and only use them when drilling and wireless options don't work.