Sign in to follow this  
Peenemünde

Brand Recommendations

First of, sorry for adding another "who do I, what should I, what..? post to the forum, but I read a bunch of other posts and can't seem to find a consensus there ether.

An introduction:

I am a former security professional with the majority of my experience in the UL Central Station burglar alarm industry. I was an installer, service tech, wire chief (if you know what that is) a salesperson and central office manager so I have had experience with CCTV over the years but the technology has changed dramatically since I was last involved. CCTV also was never my specialty since the companies worked for had separate “camera” departments so I do plead a bit of ignorance with much more than basic CCTV systems.

Bottom line: Initially I want to install some perimeter cameras on the exterior of my house, but I am overwhelmed with the choices out there so I am looking for some GENERAL recommendations on professional/commercial equipment manufacturers.

I have NO desire to buy a kit at Costco or Sam's Club. I want to buy individual professional grade cameras and I plan to install them myself. While price is always a consideration, I am initially only talking about 4 cameras to start so I am not ruling out spending more than a few $$$ if that’s what it takes. I guess I want IP cameras.

Back in my alarm company days, I sold & installed Sony & Panasonic so they are the brands that come to mind but obviously, there are LOTS of others I have heard about like Dahua, HIK Vision, Qihan...

Are Sony & Panasonic still brands to consider or are there equivalents in other brands that are more easily obtained and less costly?

I can drill down to specifics if it helps anyone make recommendations but basically my question is: which manufacturer’s websites do you recommend that I peruse for “professional grade” products?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can make.

Look at hikvision or dahua as you mentioned..They have very good cameras. Are there better brands? Sure. Are they worth the premium (7-10x) generally not, at least for home use. As technology improves you will be able to swap you cameras with those that have features that even the best cameras today lack...when you spend 100 per camera it makes it easy to swap..when you pay 500-1200 not so much...

There are tons of sample images online...judge for yourself..

Hikvision is my preference for the "consumer" market stuff. I would certainly consider the Axis IP stuff too as it is coming down in price and gives you solid support if something goes wrong.

I am a weirdo and have 6 Mobotix cameras at my house, but I am a Mobotix Partner so I got some deals over the years that just are not available to most folks. If I was buying stuff for my house today it would be 100% IP stuff and I would choose Hikvision, Axis, or maybe Avigilon.

Thanks so much for the recommendations!!

A friend in the security business also mention Hiki and can get it for me so I may explore that route. I also have to be somewhat concerned with support since I am DIY'ing this install and many security product manufacturers wont support end users, only dealers.

Another question: As I will obviously need an NVR, do the same manufacturers you recommend make quality NVR's or should I go outside of the box for that?

Thanks again and keep those suggestions coming!

Thanks so much for the recommendations!!

A friend in the security business also mention Hiki and can get it for me so I may explore that route. I also have to be somewhat concerned with support since I am DIY'ing this install and many security product manufacturers wont support end users, only dealers.

Another question: As I will obviously need an NVR, do the same manufacturers you recommend make quality NVR's or should I go outside of the box for that?

Thanks again and keep those suggestions coming!

They all make NVR...make sure to match the NVR's to the cameras..If you get hikvision cams then get a hikvision NVR...Otherwise you may have compatibility issues, particularly with motion detection.

Also all the brands mentioned have their own VMS software that will run on a pc..