Sign in to follow this  
brianosaur

Need more information to get started.

I was going to post a typical 'tell me what to get' thread but I'm not really to sure where to start.

Instead, can you direct me to someplace that I can learn/read all aspects & terms of a home security camera system? Something with a large glossary perhaps?

I had been skimming over the forums here and read a bunch of information, but the FAQ's section isnt terribly helpful. There was one thread that had a lot of info on DVRs but as far as all the various types of cameras and wiring available there isnt too much.

Anyway, Clicking through thread by thread, getting broken pieces of information that I dont fully understand isn't working for me. There are so many abbreviations and acronyms that I'm pretty lost.

I just need a good read on the soup to nuts of getting started.

Thanks

In your position, your best advice would be to find a local installer and have them advise you.

If you do this and pay for their service they are unlikely to lead you astray, most installers will

want to wow you as this is how they get referrals by friends seeing their work and saying "can

I have his number?"

If this is too expensive for you, then I am afraid there is no shortcut other that learning a load

of stuff you are unlikely to need later. The forum is full of idiots that thought they were very

clever and bought crap and now they are stuck without support and unable to resolve issues

with their CCTV, lost their passwords, can't set the recording can't set up the internet viewing

despite being told its as simple as scanning a QR code etc. These are all claims made by Maplin

and other unscrupulous dealers trying to unload their cheap rubbish on smart @rse shoppers.

You can get a good deal but don't risk buying something that you will be disappointed with

because it was cheap. YOU GET what you pay for, unfortunately you pay peanuts all you get is a lot of

monkeying around and head scratching.

Check out Yell.com for a local CCTV installer go for someone with good reviews, the bad eggs usually

don't stay on yell for long since they don't get good reviews and it works against them.

"How do I set this up then, the man said it was easy?"

262582_1.jpg

Thanks for the info but I'm going to do it myself.

I just need a starting point.

Last year I installed a complete Vista 20P HSS.

Twenty wired & wireless contacts, glass breaks, smokes, pirs, honeywell alpha keypads & wireless keyfobs. Took me a several days to install the hardware and a few more to fully program & tweak the entire system. Set up the programming & contracted with a CSM too.

However I spent a nearly two months reading and learning the complete ins & outs of home security before I planned out & purchased all my equipment online.

As for as CCTV - The install & wiring wont be an issue for me ...once I learn about the system I want. And it sure as hell has to be easier then programming hss alpha keypads with 35 sensors.

So since "this forum is full of idiots" as you say, can you direct me to a good place to start getting educated.

I dont want BestBuy analog crap. I'd like a remotely viewable HD system but between all the terms like HS-CVi, HD-TVI, HD-SDI I would like just a bit more more info. Also decent brand names.

I've viewed a couple camera comparison videos. Im not seeing a 'huge' difference between 720 & 1mp 1080. Is it worth it to get the 1080? Can easy face recognition still be achieved with 720 at 20-30 feet?

Thanks again

Thanks for the info but I'm going to do it myself.

I just need a starting point.

Last year I installed a complete Vista 20P HSS.

Twenty wired & wireless contacts, glass breaks, smokes, pirs, honeywell alpha keypads & wireless keyfobs. Took me a several days to install the hardware and a few more to fully program & tweak the entire system. Set up the programming & contracted with a CSM too.

However I spent a nearly two months reading and learning the complete ins & outs of home security before I planned out & purchased all my equipment online.

As for as CCTV - The install & wiring wont be an issue for me ...once I learn about the system I want. And it sure as hell has to be easier then programming hss alpha keypads with 35 sensors.

So since "this forum is full of idiots" as you say, can you direct me to a good place to start getting educated.

I dont want BestBuy analog crap. I'd like a remotely viewable HD system but between all the terms like HS-CVi, HD-TVI, HD-SDI I would like just a bit more more info. Also decent brand names.

I've viewed a couple camera comparison videos. Im not seeing a 'huge' difference between 720 & 1mp 1080. Is it worth it to get the 1080? Can easy face recognition still be achieved with 720 at 20-30 feet?

Thanks again

For a new install you dont want cvi/tvi/sdi those are just technologies that allow hd over coax cable used for older analog system. You want an IP system. The good ones are all POE-you will use a single ethernet cable to both power the camera and transmit date...1080p is worthwhile...note that generally the lower MP cameras like 1.3mp perform better in low light than 3mp cameras...

There are tons of posts here on ip cameras...just start reading.

It's going to be almost impossible to find one place for all the info. The technology in the CCTV industry is always changing. If you can give more info about what kind of system you are looking for, that may help. You can also go to blogs hosted on individual sites for more information. Here are some examples:

http://www.networkwebcams.co.uk/blog/

http://www.ad-hocsecurity.com/cctvblog/

http://www.cctvcameraworld.com/blog/

What ever you do just don't buy a HDSDI system. I am still up for HDCVI systems if you never see yourself going beyond 1080p resolution.

I would ditto that, you don't need TVI SDI AHD etc just go for a plug n play IP system and learn how to set up networking and port forwarding. Won't take too long to learn...

I would ditto that, you don't need TVI SDI AHD etc just go for a plug n play IP system and learn how to set up networking and port forwarding. Won't take too long to learn...

Yeah pretty much decided that is the way to go.

Boogieman directed me to this Costco IP system, and I gotta say the price is fantastic compared to all the other sites I've viewed.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100128993.html

Qsee is just rebranded Dahua?

Can anyone else second this purchase? I'm ready to pull the trigger.

it is rebranded dahua...

Costco also introduced two new lorex systems.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153138.html

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100153162.html

These are also rebranded dahua...note the domes are two axis and cannot be wall mounted without a special bracket...

it is rebranded dahua...

Costco also introduced two new lorex systems.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100153138.html

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100153162.html

These are also rebranded dahua...note the domes are two axis and cannot be wall mounted without a special bracket...

So between the Qsee or Lorax what is recommended?