Sign in to follow this  
gonzogg

IP Camera Viewer for Windows

I am using Milestone XProtect with Hikvision cameras and I am happy so far. However, when I use the web client to see the cameras or the mobile application it bring an i7-3930K 3.2 GHz to its knees (100 % CPU use).

Do you know of a simple IP Camera Viewer Application for windows just for live viewing that can take the H.264 stream from the camera?

Decoding high resolution h.264 streams is CPU intensive, it is what it is. The way Milestone deals with it is by allowing you to record at high resolution but provide a lower resolution live stream, but it's not the default. The other choice with Milestone is to setup views of a subset of cameras, for example you could separate indoor from outdoor cameras as two separate layouts or front cameras vs. rear cameras or even as simple as most watched cameras vs. those that are less frequently watched.

To set a camera to display at lower resolution in the live view, select the camera in the Milestone Management app, click on the video option for that camera and at the bottom there's a check box for using live view. Not home now so don't have the specifics but if you can't find it, call support.

To setup views of different cameras, do that in client app and click setup.

Thank you buellwinkle, I lowered the live view resolution on Milestone and now CPU load is about 50% average.