mrephunk

Need Help in Picking System Components

Hi all, total FNG here and I am sorry for all my noobish questions. I have never installed a survailance system before, but do know my way around electronics and computer quite well. I would put myself in the advanced category in those departments. OK, this is what I am looking for: I need a system which can have at least 6 cameras, which has the capability of doing both wired and wireless cameras. At least one camera will be indoors(possibly 2) that would be good to have sound as well as video. And another camera will be up on a large telephone pole over looking a parking area. This camera on the pole I would like it to have enough resolution to zoom in and be able to identify people. One of my main concerns with the wireless is making sure it is a secure connection which outsiders would not be able to connect to at all. Color cameras would be preferred but not necessary and night vision is a must. I having been doing the research but have done so much that now I am confused LOL. I would really like some suggestions, and maybe a few points in the right direction of where to get the stuff I need. Thanks for putting up with me

As for choosing equipment, I would find a qualified distributor to work with. Put your own equipment list together and work with them. Don't always look for the cheapest. You will know what I mean in the long run. You didn't say what area you cover. Don't use wireless unless it's the only way to go. Many companies out there over rate their equipment. Make sure they give you atleast a 2 year warranty. I'm not sure we can recomend any supply company on this web site.

I don't mean to sound like a B&H salesperson, but if you go on their site and browse a bunch, you'll get a feel for what is out there. You can order from Amazon or something if you want. B&H just has things really well organized and they have reviews too.

If I were going to do my system over I'd also buy one power supply unit for all the cameras.. it gets to be a mess around the DVR..

Well I need to go wireless for at least 2 of the cameras, The distances I need to cover could be done wired, but would require trenching and conduit which I would prefer to avoid. I was hoping to get some suggestions on exact type of cameras and DVR units. I will browse B&H because as for find a local supplier unfortunately where I am every supplier has way over inflated prices. And I don't intend to go through them.