Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Roughneck

Windows 8.1 64 Bit and Swann View Plus Client

I have purchased the below SWANN system from Costco.

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146087.html

I have the NVR hardwired to my internet router and I want to be able to review and save files and playback NVR recorded files on my Desktop windows 8.1 computer. When I go to set up the Swann software it tells me that it does not support 64 Bit operating systems.

Question: Is there software I can download on the internet that will work with both Windows 8.1 and this Swann System I purchased and costco?

I have more to add. I called Swann Technical Support. Wait time around 5 minutes. The Swann View Plus does in fact work with Windows 8.1 for local viewing and playback and recording of previous camera footage of all 8 each 3 MP cameras on my desktop PC. I could care less about smart phone viewing. My problem was I am a dummy and was not using the Swann View Plus software correctly. Currently I have the 8 camera system going to a dedicated 32 inch TV for viewing. I have the CAT 5 from NVR to my AT&T router. I am able to monitor all 8 cameras, search, and record previous recorded images and video from the desktop PC. No issues with Windows 8.1 and accessing and manipulating the Swann NVR/POE device. It came with a 2 TB WD Purple Drive. I added an additional 3 TB WD Purple and now have a 5 TB system. All recorded images are going direct to NVR and not the desktop PC. Bottom line. I Super happy with the Tech Support and overall functionality of the system.

In review. Glad I bought the packaged system that came with the 8 each 3 MP cameras from Costco. It was true plug and play.

$1199 For system on sale in November.

$135 For additional WD 3TB HDD with shipping

$600 For Full install which included a new 110V outlet.

$135 Lock Down Cage for NVR.

Total Investment $2059

Thanks for the old hands like Boogieman sharing advice. This is probably my last post, but I wanted to share updates that could possibly help the rookies like myself.

Presentation1.thumb.jpg.75f79761c8d378b5241b59cec68ccb8c.jpg

Thanks for posing..particularly the part about hiring someone to run your cable...running the cable is the hardest part and you got 8 cameras done + a 110 outlet for 600, that is very reasonable...

Frankly the installer should have done all this for you for that price. Well done on recognising that installation is not simply slapping a few wires in. I am pleased to hear your system has been a success you approached it in the right way so you deserve to enjoy your system well done.

Frankly the installer should have done all this for you for that price. Well done on recognising that installation is not simply slapping a few wires in. I am pleased to hear your system has been a success you approached it in the right way so you deserve to enjoy your system well done.

I disagree, the customer bought his own system...around here you will not find an installed to run cable for 8 cameras + an electrical outlet (and it looks like he mounted the cameras as well) for less than 600. The aiming of the cameras needs some adjustment though to avoid some walls and ceiling..

Your right Boogieman. The 2 man team did all that plus aiming the cameras and coming back to each to fine tune the view of each cameras. It was a team of 2 men and just the attic work alone scared me off from attempting the job. I just envisioned myself crashing thru the ceiling dry wall and landing hard in the living room floor.

The installer guys were electricians and were doing some work on the side. They got here around 9 am and were out by 330 PM. They had done many systems in the past and I will give them 2 thumbs up. Actually I was incorrect and came back to the forum only to correct myself.

The guys charged me an additional $75 for the 2 new 110 volt outlets. I forgot the other one he installed due to multiple beers fogged my memory. The other 110 Volt he installed for the TV. $675 for install which included 8 cameras, running HDMI from NVR to TV (I mounted TV on the wall), cat5 from NVR to AT&T Router, 2 Each 110 Volt outlets which one for dedicated 32" TV and one for NVR. I bought / furnished all parts and the $675 was for labor only. I think I got a great deal on the labor. Those guys worked their A@@es off especially the attic man.

Bottom line add $75 to the total price I mentioned earlier.

I had somebody contact me and asked about resolution. I went with default on the camera set up. Currently they system came with a 2 TB HD the Bios recognizes 1863 GB I added a 3TB and the bios recognizes the drive as 2793 GB for a total of 4657 GB.

Currently I am recording all 8 each 3 MP cameras at Default 1024 x 768 all cams recoding 24/7. At this camera rate all 8 cameras total are using 23.08 GB per hour and a cumulative 554 GB per day.

4657 GB recording 24 hours a day = 554 GB. //2 each HDD will record for 8.4 days of continuous recording at this resolution.

In the set up Wizard I have the other non Default options in the drop down below

1280x720

1280x1024

1600x1200

1920x1080P

Can anybody shed any insight on what resolution would be best? I know the JPEG I posted is not real clear above but it shows the default view. I have never had a camera system but I am real happy with the clarity.

Something is not right. 1024 x 768 is not 3mp its not even megapixel...you should be using 1920x1080 at the minimum which is 2mp

Thanks I will reset the cameras, format the drives, and report back with camera usage. I'll try and grab a screen shot also. That was default value that the set up wizard projected..I just went with the wizard.