smithgroup

VMS in Linux

Can anybody point me to some VMS solutions for Linux?

Has anyone successfully ran windows solutions on Wine?

I've seen zoneminder and am skeptical about it's ability to stand up to serious loads.

I have a client who uses Linux throughout and wants to stand up a VMS solution on a linux server for about 40 cameras.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm using Digital Watchdog Spectrum software and built my own Linux server using Kubuntu 14.04.

Also running the Linux client on a couple of computers. Naturally you can use a Windows client to log into the Linux server.

The software is free and you can view cameras without a license. But to record, you need a lifetime license per camera that sells for around $70/camera. There is also a free Android mobile app and no additional license is required on the server for the mobile app.

Adding large numbers of cameras to the screen is impressive because the thumbnails will automatically scale themselves to the number of cameras on the screen. You can also have several larger thumbnails surrounded by smaller thumbnails. Check out you tube for some good tutorials of what this software will do.

http://digital-watchdog.com/products/?route=product/product&path=120&product_id=870

Bluecherry makes a pretty good Linux VMS. I have three deployments with around 60 cameras (mostly ip but a few analog). We are recording to a NAS to to the large amount of data storage (64 terabytes). I really like how your can use Cronjobs to keep an eye on things and autofs to auto mount the NAS. Our units have had very very little downtime and use off the shelf hardware for easy/low cost repairs/maintenance. I will have to be upfront and say that we don't really use the motion capture feature as we want 24/7 recording. I also think the email alert feature is lacking. It only alerts to camera motion, not camera loss or NAS loss/hardware failures. I've uses scripts/contab to keep an eye on such things but they should be included as part of the software. The windows and Linux clients work well and are easy to use.

I've also used Zoneminder. Awesome software but hard to set up and as stated is a CPU hog.

I'm will be demoing DW Spectrum IPVMS and am interested in seeing other recommendations!