senator

DVR motion detection

I have used a few (residential grade) video surveillance systems and have come to realize that they all have a real challenge when it comes to minimizing the number of false positives, at a sensitivity level that is high enough to recognize an actual person. Some applications have more features than others.

I recently purchased a Dowson 8-channel DVR with several bullet-type analog cameras (420-470 TVL). The software only offers; number of cells and a 1-8 level sensitivity setting. I’ve been experimenting to find the right setting and am getting no help from the very limited documentation and no help at all from the retailer or Dowson.

So here is my question. If I only have number of cells and sensitivity level to work with, has anyone figured out the right mix? What I mean is; more or less cells at higher or lower sensitivity to minimize false positives from passing clouds and tree branches?

The sensitivity setting will be different for every user & location. There is no "one setting suits all" and your will need to keep playing with it until your are happy.