Sign in to follow this  
thewinelake

Swann teething issues

Got a Swann DVR+CCTV kit from CostCo.

I've got it mostly working (including port-forwarding) but I still need to change settings from time to time and don't want to have a monitor/keyboard connected to it all the time.

How can I remotely login to change settings?

At the moment, I can't really access it from my MacBook, as there's a Windows-only browser plugin that wants to run.

Also any recommendation for a PTZ camera that includes speaker & microphone?

you really need to post model numbers when asking questions. Swann sells ip kits thats are hikvision rebrands as well as analog kits...

OK...

The product in question is/was a NVR8-7085

I did eventually get through to Swann's Philippines call centre (30 mins wait) and they showed me how to download the Mac software (SwannView Link Mac) - although that's a somewhat secret thing!

For what it's worth, this is what they got me to download: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uvlxhtc4x2hj5wt/AAC4r2lvKbKwP-AJYrbI-v4ea/SwannView%20Link/SwannView%20Link%20Mac%201.0.4.2.zip?dl=0

However, even with this software, one can't change the settings of the box. Apparently you can with a PC.

Given that I want to be able to change settings but have the box in a somewhat awkward location, this is not a flyer. I suspect I'll be taking this back to CostCo.

Any recommendations for alternative DIY kits? I think I'd like about 6 channels and at least 720P quality.

Is Dahua the same as Swann etc? I was expecting a web configurator (much like on the super cheap Sunluxy units) but it looks as though the management software runs native with some low level proprietory protocol talking to the box.