redrumloa

Great site, looking for suggestions for new home system

Fantastic site here! I'm looking to get rig up my house massively in the long run, but since money is tight I am considering starting on the cheap to cut my teeth. I am considering buying an el cheapo 4 channel dvr card and a few cameras off eBay and running a bunch of cable:-) I'm sure eventually (quickly) I will outgrow such a basic system but with the price so low on low end stuff, why not as a start?

Here's my questions. Any specific low cost cards better than others? What about cameras? Starting off in the $200-$300 range for material(not including PC or cable, just card & cameras) what would be the best value?

Thanks in advance.

Don't do it... honestly do not buy a cheap card, read the posts here, you don't have to rush out and buy a flash Geovision system or a Kalatel but don't skimp too much on the DVR.

As for the cameras, ask who ever (electronically so they can not lie) you buy from where the cameras that you are buying come from, if they are from China... forget it.. Taiwan...only if really desperate...Korea...Go for it or Japan...Top Notch.

My Two Cents Worth

Regards,

GC

Yup. You get what you pay for.

Two other alternatives to consider, since you don't have a final design of the system in mind yet.

1. You might use network cameras--Axis, Panasonic, etc. If you have network cables in the house, you can use those. If no, then you'll be wiring the house for network as well as cameras. Double-duty...Downside is network cameras cost more. Upside, in addition to "free" network cabling, is its easy to re-configure.

2. Might even consider wireless network cameras. VEO makes a good, inexpensive wireless network camera. http://www.veo.com/Observer-Wireless/default.asp Move 'em as you wish. No need to run cabling. Use the wireless security, though, so you don't wind up making your cameras public. Keeping 1 or 2 wireless cameras in the mix allows to cover "special events" like outdoor parties, pool in summer, etc.

If you want to see your cameras from your cell phone, while you're away from home, consider using SkyWire Video as your "DVR".