muskoka

Linux based NVR

Hello every one. First time poster. Up until now, I was building PC based NVRs for up to 18-20 IP cameras. My next project, will be 48+ IP cameras 3MP each. Any advice or suggestion on components to build up system are appreciated.

Thanks for reply. That's what I'm using in terms of software. What kind of hardware do you use. For this system, I'll use about 20 omni cameras 12MP each and I'm concerned about network congestion.

I've been using old Windows XP boxes for the server and installing Kubuntu or Ubuntu. I don't have anything close to the number of cameras you are talking about so that might be a concern. Are you going to be recording 20 cameras at 12 meg resolution each? That's going to take some serious storage space.

In my memory, no NVR can pre record when motion. All NVR can record just from motion and continue.

Because NVR didn`t re-encode when receive a data from IPC.

DVR can do pre record, because DVR need encode the data to record.

Depends on your definition of NVR and DVR. In my mind they have generally the same function. The NVR is probably based around a computer and the DVR is a stand alone box. (most likely with a computer motherboard inside.) There are many situations where the same software can be installed on either box.

But in my experience, both units can pre-record video motion event.