xcom

cityboy living in the country- nightvision dilemna

I introduced myself in the introduction forums but I basically moved out to the country and I've got a few acre's of un-developed land behind my house. I can hear the coyotes howling at dusk somewhere back there but I've yet to see any. (doesn't mean they can't see me). Anywho.... I spent the last hour (or so) just surfing searches like "night vision" and "coyote" and "animals" but most of it is either indirect or just over my head. I did read the intro post so I'm at least familiar with the acronyms and I work in I.T. so I'm extremely tech savy. I run my own routing and switching equipment so I have the capabilities already to support PoE if needed.

Specs in mind I'm interested in.

2 cameras with room for growth

nightvision being the extreme main priority

wired or wireless doesn't matter

I would like to cover at least 30 yards (20 at the extreme minimum)

budget $200-300

I understand Dome cameras have design flaws for this sort of stuff and that lower Mega Pixel cameras are better since you can't see high res at night. Can anyone share positive experiences with cameras that do well to capture animal images at night? I'm not looking to record or take pictures. Just real time video

-Xcom

I introduced myself in the introduction forums but I basically moved out to the country and I've got a few acre's of un-developed land behind my house. I can hear the coyotes howling at dusk somewhere back there but I've yet to see any. (doesn't mean they can't see me). Anywho.... I spent the last hour (or so) just surfing searches like "night vision" and "coyote" and "animals" but most of it is either indirect or just over my head. I did read the intro post so I'm at least familiar with the acronyms and I work in I.T. so I'm extremely tech savy. I run my own routing and switching equipment so I have the capabilities already to support PoE if needed.

Specs in mind I'm interested in.

2 cameras with room for growth

nightvision being the extreme main priority

wired or wireless doesn't matter

I would like to cover at least 30 yards (20 at the extreme minimum)

budget $200-300

I understand Dome cameras have design flaws for this sort of stuff and that lower Mega Pixel cameras are better since you can't see high res at night. Can anyone share positive experiences with cameras that do well to capture animal images at night? I'm not looking to record or take pictures. Just real time video

-Xcom

The most important thing about clear night vision is make sure you get good noise reduction... 3D DNR is a great choice, but for that price point you should look into HD over coax options such as TVI or AHD... AHD will be the most cost effective and they are now coming out with 1080P AHD. But, for night vision you are correct... resolution is not as important... noise reduction is what you want to have for that, otherwise the darker areas will seem blotchy or grainy

I know that HD is all the rage now and I am looking at getting into that shortly. But over the last few years I have been disappointed with many cameras I have bought for my older system and most have been returned until I bought this one.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sentient-600-tvl-wired-outdoor-camera-with-80m-night-vision-n50nc

It has a 16mm lens with 10x zoom and it really can see objects that are 80 meters away (87 yards). The IR light is great for such a budget camera, the field of view is only 22 degrees though.

You could even plug it straight to your TV without a DVR for live view if you only wanted for watching the wildlife.