akfot

Help about a PC based NVR upgrade

Hi,

I have set up an IP camera system with 17 Geovision cameras (models GV SD200 (1piece),EBL 1100 (13 pieces) and BL 2410 (3 pieces) and I am planning to install 10 more (EBL 1100)) .I use the multicam NVR software (version 8.5.9). The NVR is PC-based with the following specs:

CPU: intel i7 4790 - 3.60GHz

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

Power Supply 650W

Mother Board: ASROCK H87M Pro4.

I would like planning to upgrade the PC based NVR with a graphic card. Can you suggest me a suitable one?Would you suggest me make some other hardware updates?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Most NVR software doesn't care a lot about video card performance, and mostly use 2D, so the on-board video of the i7-4790 should be sufficient. Most high power video cards focus on 3D performance, which just increases your power load without increasing performance.

There are exceptions; apparently Exacq and others can use the video card processing to improve performance, but I don't have any experience with that.

The next biggest update would be a videocam friendly hard disk, like the WD Purple or the equivalent Seagate. Depending on what you've got now, this may or may not make a difference.

Most NVR software doesn't care a lot about video card performance, and mostly use 2D, so the on-board video of the i7-4790 should be sufficient. Most high power video cards focus on 3D performance, which just increases your power load without increasing performance.

There are exceptions; apparently Exacq and others can use the video card processing to improve performance, but I don't have any experience with that.

The next biggest update would be a videocam friendly hard disk, like the WD Purple or the equivalent Seagate. Depending on what you've got now, this may or may not make a difference.

Firstly, thank you for your reply!I have already set up a WD Purple hard disk. My problem is that sometimes there is a picture break when cameras are live. Do you have any ideas why this is going on?

I'm not familiar with the software you're using, so I don't know if that's lot of cams for it, or if a better video card would help. The base PC looks powerful enough. I'm mostly familiar with Blue Iris, which uses more CPU as frame rates and total MP get higher. Most of this is due to decoding the video to view it, which increases the load as more cameras are viewed.

If the software is 32 bit, more memory won't help, but if it's 64 bit, that could make a difference. Possibly someone with more experience with your software can chime in on what affects performance.