Sign in to follow this  
Corkangel76

Hikvision Design Help?

Hi All-

I've recently purchased 4 Hikvision 1080p POE 3MP cameras, and have been having a bit of an internal struggle as to if I should keep using the IVMS 4200 software as the NVR versus getting a dedicated NVR box itself. Reason being is that the Hikvision software seems a bit kludgy to use, I built a brand new i5 2.8Ghz QuadCore 4400 series, 8GB, Windows 7 Pro, 2TB Seagate Surveillance Drive, 160GB SSD OS drive for the system, and have it connected to a dedicated POE switch for my cameras that is uplinked into my core switch in the house that powers the rest of my ethernet drops in the house, wifi access points, et al.

So now that you know my config, my true question is: Is PC Based NVR software (Hikvision, Blue Iris, or otherwise) more/less reliable than a dedicated NVR? And is anyone using either of them who can comment on any tips and tricks for configuration of such?

Thx in advance for your suggestions/assistance.

Alas, I wish I had more experience to share. I would think a dedicated NVR would be much more stable.

I'm going to try using Synology SS(since I have it) even though I've read an NVR would probably pose less issues. Worst case, I'll get the NVR:)