Sign in to follow this  
athomas61

What camera for difficult front door install?

I know we can't mention specific deals, but I am looking to purchase an IP system from CostCo that includes a 16-channel NVR and either 8 Swann cameras or 9 Q-See cameras. These are traditional bullet cameras. I don't mind using one of these for the solution, but based on the difficulty of getting the picture I want I figure I will have to buy a 1-off solution for the front door. Seeing if there's a package at the front door, and seeing who is knocking is one of the main reasons for the system so it's important to me I don't end up getting just the top or back of someone's head and a worthless picture.

I've included a picture of our entryway. It's recessed about 6ft and has brick on all sides, and behind the brick is foam insulation which is difficult, but not impossible to fish wires through. So any camera I install in this area will require drilling through masonry and then fishing an ethernet cable into the attic through foam insulation.

I also am planning to pay $1500-2000 for the system all in and don't want a lot of the cost to be in this one camera. I'd like the camera to be "fairly" discrete (as in not a big bullet cam pointed right at someone's face), but it doesn't have to be 100% hidden by any means. The door is 7ft tall in the picture for reference. Please help this is the most difficult part of the project and the one that scares me from making the purchase and doing the install. Thank you in advance for any advice!!

271167_1.jpg