fas

Lines in picture

I did my first "big" install today. Big for me is 10 cameras. It was the first time I used twist on bnc's, and they worked great. You can't pull them off at all. I need a new stripper however, because the was destroying the braids. All in all it went well, except for one camera that had lines in it. the other cameras are crystal clear. What could cause lines? There is no power near the wire. Could it just be a bad connection with the bnc?

vertical or horizontal?

how far is the camera?

Did you take the BNC off and redo the connection totally?

(recut the cable also)

RG59 Copper?

What power are you using?

(12VDC or 24VAC)

Does the cable go over any lighting or other electrical equipment?

congrats fas!!!

One thing to check on the stripper is the blade adjustment. Some tools allow you adjust the blade to cut more or less!

But.....we all could use new "strippers"

Nuvico bullet cams vertically mounted.

distance: about 100ft

didn't redo bnc yet on either end

rg59 copper 95%

12vdc

I don't think the cable goes over any lighting, but it possible. I didn't do the wiring in the building.

I have to go back in a week to fix a few things, and I can't remember if the line were vertical or horizontal. What would each mean?

They could mean a number of different things - bad wiring, bad camera, electrical interference of various different types... if you can snap a photo of the screen, most people here would probably be able to tell you at a glance where the problem lies.

i think that's the bnc wiring problem. I had that kind of situation before. After i change the cable and tighten it up, it works just fine(assuming your camera is in perfect condition).

Smells like ground loop to me. How are the cameras powered (power distribution box or individual power supplies) ?

Are you using a Siamese cable for your power and video runs?

siamese with single power supply for all cams. Can a ground loop only affect 1 cam? I haven't been back to test it yet.

Yes, usually ground looping only effects a few cameras. Are all the single power supplies plugged into the same power outlet (source).

I am using a single power supply for all the cameras. It's one power box, not a plug in for each camera.

This one camera thats having the problems; where is it in reference to the DVR and the rest of the cameras? Is it in a seperate part of the building?

It's on an apartment building. There are 4 cameras on each wall, so yes it is in a different part, but then they all are. I haven't been back, but I think the problem could be as simple as a bad bnc connection. I used twist ons, and my stripper is old. I think I may have stripped all the braiding off, or maybe a single braid is touching the center. I had to jam all the wiring into an outdoor box which was very difficult to do, so maybe that is the cause. I didn't do the wiring, but the person who did, did not leave much room, and the leads from the camera where so long, I had to crunch everything in.