Sign in to follow this  
KevA

Range extender/booster query

Hi,

I am a CCTV newbee. I am looking for a range extender for a Wifi CCTV system. The system I have is a Response DIP2 (Friedland)

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Security/CCTV/Smartphone/Pages/DIP2.aspx

I am looking for a suitable range extender - does anyone have any ideas please.

There are some good options you can use.

Engenious ap/bridge/repeater works good for outside/inside

Also you can send ip cams over your home electrical system with a Ethernet over power converters sold in sets at best buy.

It's not clear that the system linked to uses wifi, so access points/wifi extenders wouldn't help. It appears to be a wireless analog system connecting cameras to the base station, which then connects via RJ45 to the local network.

It's my understanding that this type of wireless system uses a different frequency spectrum and protocol than wifi, so you'd need a system specific extender.

Lorex, for instance, sells wireless extenders that work with wireless analog cams, but whether it would work with any wireless analog cam is open to question:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/accessories-for-security-cameras/Range-Extender-Antenna-for-LW2110-and-LW2175R-wireless-camera/2251.p

I could be wrong, as I've never used wireless analog gear.

It's not clear that the system linked to uses wifi, so access points/wifi extenders wouldn't help. It appears to be a wireless analog system connecting cameras to the base station, which then connects via RJ45 to the local network.

It's my understanding that this type of wireless system uses a different frequency spectrum and protocol than wifi, so you'd need a system specific extender.

Lorex, for instance, sells wireless extenders that work with wireless analog cams, but whether it would work with any wireless analog cam is open to question:

https://www.lorextechnology.com/accessories-for-security-cameras/Range-Extender-Antenna-for-LW2110-and-LW2175R-wireless-camera/2251.p

I could be wrong, as I've never used wireless analog gear.

He could put the base station at a stable range from the camera, then connect the base station's LAN port to a WiFi bridge.

Yes, or connect it to a powerline adapter. This would only help if all the cams are within range of the base station. If some of the cams are too far away from the base station location, it would require a second base station, a directional antenna. or similar.