Quick

Cameras - Where to start?

I'm looking for a couple of camera suggestions for home exterior surveillance so I have some place to start researching. Initial searches didn't get me very far. I do have some idea of what I want (I think). I am technical but little experience in video.

I have a Synology DS1513+ NAS and would like to use the Surveillance Station package available on that (I'm aware I have to buy licence(s) for attaching multiple cameras).

I have a wireless N router (D-Link DIR655) I can dedicate to the surveillance system.

I'm thinking wireless cameras to the router which is cabled to a port on the NAS (Router, NAS and cameras would be the only things on that network. I understand the weakness of wireless being able to be jammed or hacked but, in my case I think the flexibility and ease of installation/expansion might be worth the trade off. Also, I live in what amounts to a dump in an OK neighborhood so I feel the probability of ill intent with that level of sophistication to be very low. I do not have any idea of bandwidth requirements -- N is 54 Mbps?

Cameras would stream to the NAS. Video would be accessed from there.

The Cameras.

Single story, rectangular house is set in the middle of the lot. Roughly 45' in front to the curb and about the same in back to the fence. 5' on each side of the house with no windows or doors so I'm not going to cover that.

Initial plan is a camera at each corner under the eaves with maybe a 5th for the front door/porch.

90* field of view or close to it.

I'd like to get something good for both night and day. High def enough for facial recognition.

I expect a complication in the front is that I have a very bright porch light that stays on all night.

I'm flexible but kind of expecting to spend $200 to $300 per camera? Maybe $400 if I really really had to? Don't know what's realistic.

What I'm looking for is just something like, after reading the above, "This one or that one might do it". Then I can start there, look at the properties and features and research out from that. Of course if you care to expand on anything that would be appreciated as well.

I'm looking for a couple of camera suggestions for home exterior surveillance so I have some place to start researching. Initial searches didn't get me very far. I do have some idea of what I want (I think). I am technical but little experience in video.

I have a Synology DS1513+ NAS and would like to use the Surveillance Station package available on that (I'm aware I have to buy licence(s) for attaching multiple cameras).

I have a wireless N router (D-Link DIR655) I can dedicate to the surveillance system.

I'm thinking wireless cameras to the router which is cabled to a port on the NAS (Router, NAS and cameras would be the only things on that network. I understand the weakness of wireless being able to be jammed or hacked but, in my case I think the flexibility and ease of installation/expansion might be worth the trade off. Also, I live in what amounts to a dump in an OK neighborhood so I feel the probability of ill intent with that level of sophistication to be very low. I do not have any idea of bandwidth requirements -- N is 54 Mbps?

Cameras would stream to the NAS. Video would be accessed from there.

The Cameras.

Single story, rectangular house is set in the middle of the lot. Roughly 45' in front to the curb and about the same in back to the fence. 5' on each side of the house with no windows or doors so I'm not going to cover that.

Initial plan is a camera at each corner under the eaves with maybe a 5th for the front door/porch.

90* field of view or close to it.

I'd like to get something good for both night and day. High def enough for facial recognition.

I expect a complication in the front is that I have a very bright porch light that stays on all night.

I'm flexible but kind of expecting to spend $200 to $300 per camera? Maybe $400 if I really really had to? Don't know what's realistic.

What I'm looking for is just something like, after reading the above, "This one or that one might do it". Then I can start there, look at the properties and features and research out from that. Of course if you care to expand on anything that would be appreciated as well.

Forget wireless...it will just cause problems..cameras need a solid connection 24/7..no camera is wireless, you need to power it, might as well run ethernet and use the same cable to provide power - power over ethernet (POE)..pay a professional to simply run cable for you, find someone good who knows how to discretely run cable, should cost about 100 per drop..

Start reading the ip/megapixel portion of the forum..good solid cameras from hikvision and dahua can be had for about 100-150 (depending on where you buy from, US/china)...

good luck

Forget wireless...it will just cause problems..cameras need a solid connection 24/7..no camera is wireless, you need to power it, might as well run ethernet and use the same cable to provide power - power over ethernet (POE)..pay a professional to simply run cable for you, find someone good who knows how to discretely run cable, should cost about 100 per drop..

Start reading the ip/megapixel portion of the forum..good solid cameras from hikvision and dahua can be had for about 100-150 (depending on where you buy from, US/china)...

good luck

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, wired it is then. I was just thinking it's a really short run to power. It's a long run to the router (maybe 30'-40') and a couple of trips through wall and ceiling/floor. The router, currently retired, always provided solid coverage for a little ways outside of the entire house and it's well locked down with wpa2 and mac white listing. But I get it. The wireless conditions could change in the future. $100 per drop in labor is very encouraging. I would be thrilled with that. I've been in the attic and I've been in the crawl space and I learned about fire risers... and I have the wired portion of my home network laying on the carpet. haha, temporarily for a couple of years now . Good opportunity to finally get that done at the same time.