NeilP

Live CD for IP cam NVR? and network newbie questions

Hi All

First post..and yes I have searched for Live Cd based threads, but the search ignores the 'CD' part of the search and brings up hundereds of post related to live View of cctv images

I had d/loaded a ZoneMonitor live CD, but distort watch not showing any others.

Just wondered if any one had any pointers to other live CD's as I like the idea of a dedicated homebuilt hardware / OS setup.

As way of explanation...though that is my main question above, I'll fill in with a bit about my requirement . And I admit it...I have not read all the FAQ's, stickies here yet..that is in the pipeline

It is for a large private domestic / system.

Only previous CCTV experience is a Inspire Black 4 cam setup for a local cafe. Cameras where in place i just had to instal a new recorder, set it up, setup a wifi hotspot for the cafe customers, No-IP DDNS , new router, network issues etc, so I know my way relatively well around a network.

This got me thinking that I'd like a system for home. Well when I say home...I have a farm stable yard, and workshop area, all on private land I'd like to be able to monitor.

Not come across the IP cam NVR approach, until I thought about it and asked my UK supplier OneStop CCTV about how I'd do my system over a network. It was them that mentioned the concept of NVR's to me

My 'home' network is extensive. Main internet router, acting as DHCP, a Deliberant Point to Multi Point bridge network to three remote 'stations' over about 1200 meters. One of the solar powered.

I'd thought about CCTV before but could not justify individual DVR's at each spot. Then the thought struck me. 'Hey , I already have a network in place.....ummm..IP cams...umm wonder what is out there. This is still my first week in to the research, so excuse me if I have missed something obvious.

Regards

Neil P

The two best bets for a low-cost PC based NVR are Blue Iris, which is inexpensive and very capable but requires a powerful PC, or Milestone Xprotect Go, which doesn't need as much CPU but has limitations on the number of cams and record time.

After those, it's mostly a per-cam license fee, and there are a variety of options depending on your budget.

Hi thanks

I had not seen those before so will take a look , thanks, though I was tryign to avouid the 'software that runs on Windows ' route and go for a complete OS based / Live CD style setup. a csutiom Linux/ unix based CCTV OS distro.

I had seen Zone ?? somethig or otehr a few years ago , but wonedered if there was opther similar distros available.

Thanks for takeing th etime to reply though. I may yet jsut go down the direct hardware route, but wantt o explorre the options as there is not rush

Thanks

Hi thanks

I had not seen those before so will take a look , thanks, though I was tryign to avouid the 'software that runs on Windows ' route and go for a complete OS based / Live CD style setup. a csutiom Linux/ unix based CCTV OS distro.

I had seen Zone ?? somethig or otehr a few years ago , but wonedered if there was opther similar distros available.

Thanks for takeing th etime to reply though. I may yet jsut go down the direct hardware route, but wantt o explorre the options as there is not rush

Thanks

Why are you afraid of windows..it doesnt bite...even on linux why do you insist on live cd?

Try zoneminder, if it meets your needs then use it..there are lots of better options though...start reading..

OK ,well with a Live CD, you can try out various operating systems first before installing g, most Live CD's I have tried have an install option,

Windows is an OS designed for lots of uses, and is stuffed full of running background services that I just not relevant. Yes I know about disabling services and locking it down..but it is just all extra hassle. I was really after a standalone OS that is a dedicated OS for CCTV, i am surprised there is not more out there. The last update I have so far seen of the ZM Live CD distro is 30th June 2009.

I have NAS4Free servers running here in a small spare attic room at the house. All headless systems totally run from remote webgui access.

That is where I planned to install the CCTV unit ..be it a stand alone dedicated unit, store bought or a converted PC with a new OS installed.

I guess I can configure a basic windows installation to run as a headless system ? with remote access...not used Win since Win XP..my only Win machine is now my Sony Vaio 2004 laptop with XP.

The only version of ZM I tried was all installed as a Live CD, with install option as a package within the host OS, what ever it may have been.

I was merely on the lookout for a quick solution.

One alternative is just buying a store bought unit, plus git in to the network , go it its WebGUI congfig page and set itup. Happy to do that..but before i did wanted to see if there were any CustomCCTV OS's out there that I could try.

I have access to large numbers of 'scrap' PC's, so banging in a Live CD of a dedicated CCTV OS is an easy option.

If nothing available, then not a worry..but if you don't ask you don't get to know.

Thanks for the replies, and sorry of the late replies, I have been busy with out door, farming , related stuff this time of year.