Sign in to follow this  
shdes

wifi implementation in ip pinhole camera & general wireless

Hi, I got this pinhole 1080p in china with built-in wifi. The video work fine but can't connect wifi. After contacting with manufacturer and trying all settings, the camera wifi circuit broken. I'd like to know how wireless wifi ip camera is supposed to work. Does it suppose to have its own SSID? my pinhole doesn't have SSID and it has to be connected to a router. Then you need special CMS to access the camera wifi. In other wireless IP camera.. can you access it directly by having its own SSID.. for example.. when you use an NVR and router.. can it see the ip wireless cam? Mine can't although the NVR can detect it using wired lan only.

Often, you need to connect to a wired switch or router to set up the wifi on the camera. You'd select the SSID of the wifi network, any other options like encryption style, and put in the password. Once that's done, you can disconnect and see if it connects to the wifi. You'll also have 2 IP addresses for the camera; one for wifi, one for wired.

There are push-button solutions to wifi connections, but I'm not familiar with them. User-friendly wifi gear like Arlo and Dropcam don't have wired connections, and have a way of hooking up without them, done by following the instructions with the camera.

Often, you need to connect to a wired switch or router to set up the wifi on the camera. You'd select the SSID of the wifi network, any other options like encryption style, and put in the password. Once that's done, you can disconnect and see if it connects to the wifi. You'll also have 2 IP addresses for the camera; one for wifi, one for wired.

Yes.. what you described is how they are connected. But the wifi module is bad. I open the case ip pinhole camera inside which void the warrantee because I was curious what it look like (the lan so far worked in my nvr) and I can't return the camea to china because shipping cost is too high and may get lost. Anyway. Please look at the two attached pictures of the wifi module (front and back). Do you know what the yellow and white wire do? I know the black and red is power and the separate black is antenna. What kind of wifi module is this (what are the different kinds).. any idea where this can be bought in the US or in wifi module stores? Tnx

IMG_3094.JPG.e1d14fb7fbb65bb9c8b6754f862b6539.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG.cdbe3d501d10e840600cde928cb7a317.JPG

Finding replacements for this kind of thing can be tricky.

I'd start by googling any markings on the board. I tried this with an IR board with zero success, but you never know.

As far as what the wires do, the non-power wires are likely the signal inputs, but the best way to figure it out would be to trace what pins on what chips they go to and see what those do. Not easy, and likely not worth it.

I'd also look with a magnifier for things like cracked solder joints, junk between traces, and such. Another long shot, but I've fixed a few things doing this.

Btw.. when you use normal NVR like dahuas.. can it see the wireless ip camera via the router wifi (provided it can connect ok using lan meaning onvif compliant)? Or do these wireless ip cameras can only be viewed by its special CMS only and completely invisible to normal NVR like dahua?

In general, you can just put the IP address of the wireless camera in and the NVR will see it, assuming the NVR supports that particular camera. Some don't support other brands.

There are cameras that use proprietary formats, but if you can see it with your browser and the NVR supports the cam, you should be able to connect.

In general, you can just put the IP address of the wireless camera in and the NVR will see it, assuming the NVR supports that particular camera. Some don't support other brands.

There are cameras that use proprietary formats, but if you can see it with your browser and the NVR supports the cam, you should be able to connect.

In the normal bullet camera without wifi. What is the lan counterpart of the wifi module where any wi fi router in the NVR can recognize it as an ip? So instead of replacing the router with a wireless bridge, what can you plug in the ip cam so its ip can be read by the NVR and router just like you do with the wifi module?

Finding replacements for this kind of thing can be tricky.

I'd start by googling any markings on the board. I tried this with an IR board with zero success, but you never know.

As far as what the wires do, the non-power wires are likely the signal inputs, but the best way to figure it out would be to trace what pins on what chips they go to and see what those do. Not easy, and likely not worth it.

I'd also look with a magnifier for things like cracked solder joints, junk between traces, and such. Another long shot, but I've fixed a few things doing this.

I found the connections labels (see picture below).. do you know what is meant by USB_DM and USB_DP.. what kind of module it needs to send via wifi?

302599743_wifimoduleconnections.JPG.8dfff1fb00c4398e0486ac16640868fd.JPG

USB_DP/USB_DM are the differential inputs for USB data.

If you google wifi module, you might find some helpful info on similar boards.