beagle187

Ideas for a small home system.....

My parents are going out of town next weekend and they want two or three cameras setup to monitor their home while they are gone.

I am an IT person by trade but am just getting started into the IP Camera world. I have an older analog Night Owl camera system at my home. It works good but the picture quality is limited because of the technology.

What is the best route to setup for my parents?

They want at least two outside cameras to watch over a pool area and the driveway area. I have thought about something like Axis cameras with the built in SD card to hold the video it captures (motion record only). Are there any other cheaper brand cameras?

Wasn't sure about the monitoring offsite. I know the Axis cameras have built in DDNS, so maybe we can use that to access them from their iPad or iPhone while they are away.

What do you think?

Also, is a wifi IP camera worth the money to save on cabling?

My parents are going out of town next weekend and they want two or three cameras setup to monitor their home while they are gone.

I am an IT person by trade but am just getting started into the IP Camera world. I have an older analog Night Owl camera system at my home. It works good but the picture quality is limited because of the technology.

What is the best route to setup for my parents?

They want at least two outside cameras to watch over a pool area and the driveway area. I have thought about something like Axis cameras with the built in SD card to hold the video it captures (motion record only). Are there any other cheaper brand cameras?

Wasn't sure about the monitoring offsite. I know the Axis cameras have built in DDNS, so maybe we can use that to access them from their iPad or iPhone while they are away.

What do you think?

Also, is a wifi IP camera worth the money to save on cabling?

Forget about wifi...look at hikvision and dahua..each have cameras with built in sd card slots (not all, some cameras)...there are lots of threads on them.

I have been looking at Hikvision and I noticed they have SD card slots, but how do I access the video on the card and/or setup streaming so I can access via mobile devices?

Axis has their Camera Companion software that does all this automatically.

I have been looking at Hikvision and I noticed they have SD card slots, but how do I access the video on the card and/or setup streaming so I can access via mobile devices?

Axis has their Camera Companion software that does all this automatically.

Not all hikvision cameras have sd card slots...you need to check..they make the same style of cameras with and without card slots...

hikvisions has their own vms software that I believe can also access the sd card...the hikvsion mobile app cam also access the sd card ....

There is nothing wrong with axis, except that you will be paying 7 times as much....this is a small home system..

I am thinking I'll setup a PC and use blue iris software. Then add some hikvison cameras.

Have you ever used any HD-SDI systems? Just saw some of those.

I have also been looking at SightHound as well for NVR software.

I am still really debating the HD-SDI systems. With those, I won't have to worry about the computer going down, messing up, etc...

I have also been looking at SightHound as well for NVR software.

I am still really debating the HD-SDI systems. With those, I won't have to worry about the computer going down, messing up, etc...

sdi is a terrible choice for a new install...limited options, coax, no poe option...

If you dont want to worry about a computer just use an NVR with ip cameras.

Thanks!!

Just found a nice NVR system from swann at SAMs Club for $600. Comes with 4 3MP cameras, full 1080P, and can add 4 more cameras later if they need to.