Sign in to follow this  
yeoldestonecat

Ubiquiti UVC cameras...not popular yet?

I come from the SMB computer networking world...taking care of networks for small businesses. Have stayed out of the camera field until fairly recently, since IP cameras are becoming more popular.

Have had exposure to higher end camera systems, I often help alarm companies install their systems onto clients networks...more pricey products like Honeywell.

For our clients wireless networks, we use products from a company called Ubiquiti.

They have had camera systems in the past, "airvision", which I guess was their early attempt into IP cameras and it wasn't that good. Last year (or so) they came out with a second generation lineup, Unifi UVC camera system. I decided to purchase a few of their models, the UVC Pro, the UVC standard, a dome, and a Micro wireless one.

I was actually quite impressed with the setup....I repurposed a little desktop computer by installing Ubuntu linux on it, and installing their UVC NVR software on it. Set it up for remote viewing through the firewall. They also came out with an app for smart phones...both iOS and Android...and it's very good, IMO. Both the NVR software and the phone apps are free.

The standard and dome cameras are under 140 bucks, the Micro around 100 bucks...they seem to be decent quality as far as image quality. The "Pro" camera...very hefty, beefy, at over 450 bucks I'll admit I expected more quality and better zoom ability.

Curious if others that are experienced with camera systems have used their current generation of products, and what their opinion of it is. A search of the forum here has yielded little of their brand name, save for some mentions of their wireless bridges for doing outdoor camera setups with other brand cameras. The price point seems to have them down towards the affordable area where most people are looking....and the popular brands here in this price bracket seem to be Dahua or Hikvision.

Ubiquiti is a poor choice for several reasons..

1) They use their own proprietary 24v/48v POE standard. Some cameras may now be 802.3af compliant.

2) Their cameras are not onvif compliant and the newer units will not even stream to third party vms software.

3) Very limited camera choices.

They created their own proprietary ecosystem...it will never be universally accepted or popular. Who do they think they are, Apple?

Unless you love UNBT skip their cameras and go with a product like Dahua or Hikvision and you will have a much more useful system. There wireless is good... CCTV not so good.