Sign in to follow this  
spickering

Using old system but want to be able to upgrade in future.

Hi there,

I was given a DVMRe, camera PSU, and a handful of cameras from a friend-- the school he works for replaced everything with new digital recorders and cameras. Now, I know this is an OLD system, but I plugged it in to my current cameras (some cheep bullet cameras I installed years ago around my house), and it works great for my needs. I would like to set up a few of the cameras that were given to me and so I would need to pick up some quality Siamese cable to run the cameras.

I guess my question is, if I install the "new" (used) analog cameras using Siamese cable, am I going to regret it if/when I eventually upgrade to a modern home camera system? I know that the more cameras I add the fewer fps I'll be getting, so I would have to upgrade eventually, but I can't imagine it would be within the next year or two. I don't recall off-hand what models the cameras are that were given to me, but when I googled the admittedly old specs they beat my cheap cameras hands down

If I upgrade the cameras would I need to rerun different wire, or is Siamese wire pretty standard even for newer cameras?

Thanks everyone,

-Stephen

Hi there,

I was given a DVMRe, camera PSU, and a handful of cameras from a friend-- the school he works for replaced everything with new digital recorders and cameras. Now, I know this is an OLD system, but I plugged it in to my current cameras (some cheep bullet cameras I installed years ago around my house), and it works great for my needs. I would like to set up a few of the cameras that were given to me and so I would need to pick up some quality Siamese cable to run the cameras.

I guess my question is, if I install the "new" (used) analog cameras using Siamese cable, am I going to regret it if/when I eventually upgrade to a modern home camera system? I know that the more cameras I add the fewer fps I'll be getting, so I would have to upgrade eventually, but I can't imagine it would be within the next year or two. I don't recall off-hand what models the cameras are that were given to me, but when I googled the admittedly old specs they beat my cheap cameras hands down

If I upgrade the cameras would I need to rerun different wire, or is Siamese wire pretty standard even for newer cameras?

Thanks everyone,

-Stephen

You will not be able to use the Siamese wire with ip cameras..there is hd over analog but selection is limited. Install your cams with ethernet and baluns at the end..this way you will be able to easily upgrade later..use quality ethernet cable not copper clad aluminum (CCA) which is junk.

You forget about wasting your time twice and just buy a decent system now...why regret it later when your image is crap and useless.

You will not be able to use the Siamese wire with ip cameras..there is hd over analog but selection is limited. Install your cams with ethernet and baluns at the end..this way you will be able to easily upgrade later..use quality ethernet cable not copper clad aluminum (CCA) which is junk.

You forget about wasting your time twice and just buy a decent system now...why regret it later when your image is crap and useless.

Thanks Boogieman. You're right about wasting time twice, that's why I was checking to see if I would be wasting time replacing only cameras or if I would also waste time /money running new wire. If ethernet wiring works for legacy and new systems then if I use it now I would only be wasting money on the baluns and the time of physically upgrading the cameras, right?

The reason i would like to use this system if I can is that I know a quality system (not the tigerdirect Qsee systems) are expensive and I just don't have the need (or money) for a real system. So, that's where I'm at. Either I install this now with the best possible upgradability or I don't install anything for a few years while I justify the cost and save the money to invest in a good system. I would like 8 cameras minimum.

I'm not dead set on this yet, but I want to still consider the options. If I use ethernet with baluns, the power would run via the cat5, right? Or would i still need separate power?

Thank you!

-Stephen

Thanks Boogieman. You're right about wasting time twice, that's why I was checking to see if I would be wasting time replacing only cameras or if I would also waste time /money running new wire. If ethernet wiring works for legacy and new systems then if I use it now I would only be wasting money on the baluns and the time of physically upgrading the cameras, right?

The reason i would like to use this system if I can is that I know a quality system (not the tigerdirect Qsee systems) are expensive and I just don't have the need (or money) for a real system. So, that's where I'm at. Either I install this now with the best possible upgradability or I don't install anything for a few years while I justify the cost and save the money to invest in a good system. I would like 8 cameras minimum.

I'm not dead set on this yet, but I want to still consider the options. If I use ethernet with baluns, the power would run via the cat5, right? Or would i still need separate power?

Thank you!

-Stephen

Yes you would only be out your time....to give the best advice I need to know your budget...