deuce_71

3rd Party IP Cameras with NVR Possible?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I've been searching the internet for info that will help me in my possible surveillance system purchase.

I am looking at buying the new Night Owl system (see link below). It is exactly what I need for my little home. I don't need anything fancy and expensive. All I want is to be able to place 4 cameras around my house with HD picture and be able to see it through my smart phone, PC and TV, depending where I am.

http://nightowlsp.com/products/complete-security-systems/hd-security-systems/4-channel/nvr10-441.html

I would like to add one dome IP camera to this system, thus eliminating one of these cameras. My questions are:

1. Since the cameras in this package are IP cameras and they are all powered by PoE, can I use any dome camera that is an IP camera and PoE to work with this system?

2. What do I have to look for when buying one that is compatible with this system?

Or am I just stuck with using the cameras included with this package, thus not allowing me to add a 3rd party IP camera.

Any help is much appreciated.

First, I want to make sure I understand.

You're looking at buying a 4 channel system with 4 cameras included. It appears that system maxes out at 4 cameras with no room to upgrade.

Which is fine if that's what you want, but then the idea of buying more cameras means disconnecting one of the existing 4 cameras.

But if you think you may need to go to 5+ cameras, then you'd need to purchase a system with 8 channels (or 16 or whatever) for future expansion.

Brand-mixing

Possible with IP...yes

Brand mixing compatible......either mostly or not at all

In the IP world, there is a "standard" (ok, it's for-profit companies trying to create a common language so they can make ca$h...but it also makes life a little easier for us...a little...it's not perfect). It's called ONVIF and there's a couple versions of it.

ONVIF has a short list of functions that are supposed to work between two ONVIF devices of any brand. But there's always newer/cooler functions coming out that aren't within the ONVIF specification so if you want the outside-the-ONVIF-spec function...I say to stay with the same brand.

Also, I've seen a few cases in which two ONVIF devices of different brands didn't do the listed ONVIF function. Calling support from each company results in them blaming each other.

So if I can (such as a brand new install), I simply avoid multi-branding and go with a single brand.

For the system you linked, I don't see anything suggesting that this system is ONVIF compliant or that it would work with other system.