Sign in to follow this  
tms21

Wiring and mounting the Swann 4 cam kit from Costco

Hi guys

So i received the kit yesterday http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100146086.html

In regards to the wiring I would prefer to run it through the vertical edge of my vinyl window frame rather than through the brick. Is this acceptable? If I silicone the hole will it stop water from entering the window? Also If I drill into the mortar to mount the camera, will the 3 plastic anchors and screws they sent with the kit be hold the camera properly.

We really just want to get this installed so we can finally go on vacation. The whole CCTV decision has been verhy stressful to say the least. Thank you everybody for your help and guidance

Drilling into brick, etc. isn't hard, just use the right type of bit such as a masonry bit.

For mounting, the little plastic expansion anchors work fine as the camera isn't heavy at all. If you really want to mount it solid, go with a masonry mount. There's some that are set up just like the plastic ones, but you:

1) drill the hole in the brick

2) tap in a soft-metal anchor

3) put the screw into the anchor

Your local Home Depot/Lowes (or online with Amazon) have the anchors in stock.

You can drill into your window frame, but I avoid it as I want the window frame to hold the window..especially the vinyl/plastic types..but that's just me.

As for water, the silicone will do fine for that.

thanks ZR1

my problem now is, can I drill through the inside wall about 18 inches or so to the outside brick and make a hole to run the wire. that way i can mount the camera by opening the widow and connecting everything;

or do I have to begin the drilling on the outside and drill through the house into the bedroom. The later wont be feasible since I don't have a two story ladder.

what do you think about flat patch ethernet cables to run at window crack

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-UTP-1800-25W-Patch-White/dp/B0007QQJWA/ref=pd_sim_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=078163BQ4M7D0FV9Q422

Thanks again

ah, I was just thinking of drilling for the mount which is like an inch. But drilling to make a hole to get the cable through, it's more work, no doubt.

I'd probably do the flat cable through the window on a personal system too.

Drilling through that much brick (etc) takes:

* long masonry bit (probably $15-ish)

* several batteries on your cordless drill (or an extension cord)

* patience

* a little more patience

* sweat

* couple of cool drinks

* a hammer drill helps a lot

doing this while on a tall ladder sucks as when you drill you're basically trying to push your ladder over.

Flat cable

With the 1's and 0's transmitting through the cable, the 1's go better through the flat cable, but not those fatter 0's that don't fit so well.

ok...couldn't resist...back to reality now...hehe

I've done flat cables even for computer odds and ends under 30' and they work well. But there's 2 types of flat:

* Twisted Pair - 4 pairs of twisted cables

* Flat 8 - 8 straight little cables, no twisting going on.

The twisted-pair part is what gives you reliable distance on the connection. But I believe the Amazon link is for 4-pairs.

In any case, if you have a short 30-foot run, no problem. But if you're running 180 feet or something...I'd consider adding a switch to get off the flat cable soon and do the majority of the long length with a regular cable.

I was gonna drill through the edge of the plastic window frame but....

Now it looks like the connectors they sent dont fit and the instruction book says to use weatherproof tape and that the connectors are only if you are "cutting your own ethernet cable.." Seriously....

That is why I paid the extra for this kit from costco after returning the bits n pieces of hikvisions because i knew they were time consuming.. Am I missing something. is there a way to use these connectors without buying or cutting new cables else Im sending this crap back and lost about 2 weeks of headache with no system

20150807_210221.thumb.jpg.d756b666757aab971eadee2e0376d3ae.jpg