Sign in to follow this  
tms21

email, remote access help

Hello everybody:

So I just finished installing my first camera. If anybody needs to know the hikvision 2032/swann uses a 1/4 masonry drill bit for the plastic anchor, I went into the mortar which was redone a few years ago. I used a corded 3/8 drill and did not need a hammer drill.

My issue is I cant get the swann system to email alerts and I cant see the cams on my android phone ot at an IP address. I followed the instructions, used a gmail email but when i hit test it says "failed to send test email" I see other settings like NTP, NAT, SNMP, PPPOE etc.

Anyone point me in the right direction? Also do u guys use continuos record or motion detect ?

Email connectivity settings

The term to Google is "SMTP settings" for your ISP or email provider.

There are several options that may need to be done for your particular SMTP settings, but contact your internet service provider to doublecheck those.

Basically your Camera system (cam itself, dvr, or nvr) will be your "email client" and then you'd look up the email SMTP settings of whatever ISP connects your internet connection to set up the "from" email part.

As for sending the email to...that's where you use your Gmail address.

Seeing on your smartphone

Two ways depending on your Swann DVR/NVR

* Plug and Play (P2P), usually this is very few steps. Sometimes even scanning a 2D code off the screen from the app.

* Port-forwarding - this means looking up which port #'s your DVR/NVR uses and then on your network router, placing port-forwarding exceptions for those ports. Then from the smartphone app, navigate to your IP address (this topic is much bigger, so search this site on dedicated port-forwarding topics)

Motion or Continuous

A few companies I've worked with require to have an uninterrupted recording. But very few. Most all of them that I've worked with opt for a motion recording which gives two benefits:

* Extends hard drive space much further

* It's much (much) easier to locate the video clip for a specific incident

Motion & Alerts

On many DVR/NVR's you can have it email you when it sees motion. This varies in practice as a single person walking through the room can generate 10-20 emails to you within a few seconds. I'd prefer to see the firmware build in a little delay before hammering off the next sub-second motion email...but play with it on your system if that's what you're thinking.

Thank you very much again Zr1 for taking your time out for me. I will try these suggestions shortly. Have a great day!!

verizon isnt allowing me to setup the email using outgoing.verizon.net as senders address, says address not valid

the android scan feature doesnt work on my phone after i scanned it, after it visits the url it says "item not found" I tried downloading a different swannview app and again its taking hours to download without much luck.

at this point id be happy to just see the cameras from my phone somehow. I shoud just stick to my day job lol

i remember a post sometime back about changing the ip address with dhcp? is this advised? looks like all my ports http rtsp and server are inactive with no external ip address showing