RiazK

BNC to RCA problem

First post here . I would like to view my cctv dvr on the tv's around the house. As instructed, I got a BNC to RCA adaptor and made a cable. I connected the cable from the DVR's BNC VIDEO OUT to the TV monitors RCA. It worked fine, for a while only. After a few minutes it became very very hot to touch so I disconnected it. I reconnected a new cable and it was fine. 2 Weeks later the connector became hot again and got damaged (it melted the white plastic inside). I'm not sure what the problem is, I tried 2 different tv's, and 2 different cables. They heating only occurs at the connectors, not along the length of the cable. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong ?

As long as you have done as you describe there should be no issue. You say you connected to the TV's RCA. I assume it WAS the TVs "VIDEO IN".

The signal is only 1Vpp @ negligable current and so is incapable of generating heat.

I cannot offer any other help on your problem

Yes, sorry, I did mean "Video In". I made 2 cables. The second is only about 1m in length, only to test. I have tried to attached an image to describe what happened to the cable. I'm not sure what could possibly be causing this.

276156_1.png

276156_1.jpg

276156_2.jpg

How can I test if there is a problem with the BNC Video out connection on my DVR? Should there be continuity between the centre pin and the outside of the connector?

276183_1.png

Possibly a bad BNC to RCA adaptor. Get a volt meter and see what kind (if any) voltage is being output. I have no other ideas at the moment.